Chapter 2: Who really is Kokichi?

Spoilers ahead...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kaito swiftly turned a corner, holding up his fire extinguisher as if he were about to beat the living shit out of the next zombie they see. Shuichi had noted that their surroundings were eerily quiet. Right now, he couldn't hear a single groan.

"GONTA! KOKICHI YOU BASTARD! WHERE ARE YOU?!" Kaito screeched at the top of his lungs, causing both Shuichi and Maki to wince at the same time.

"Do you want to die?" Maki growled, her demeanour drastically changing. The atmosphere around her had suddenly darkened as her eyes glowed all the more vibrant and red. This girl could slit your throat in a second if you weren't careful, Shuichi quickly assumed; there was no way she could be a child caregiver.

Well, at least it shut Kaito up. For the next few minutes, they searched in silence, giving Shuichi some time to absorb the setting, trying to pick up on any clues Gonta and Kokichi could have left. Kokichi was smart, it's very likely that he decided to stay with Gonta when he found out what was going down. Kokichi wasn't physically strong (that's what he gathered anyway), while Gonta had the build of a bull. He had already proven his strength back before the first trial when they went the underground tunnels to and escape. And knowing Kokichi, he possibly left some sort of trick or clue.

"Where do you think the zombies are?" Maki asked in a quiet low tone. Kaito shrugged, afraid to make a sound while Shuichi put his hand over his mouth, a regular gesture he did while thinking.

"Hmm... it's hard to tell at the moment. However, by looking at the fresh debris around these corridors; it's safe to say that something pretty large has passed through here." Shuichi replied.

The school had always looked torn down and abandoned, right now was no exception. Shuichi had wondered where all these zombies had actually come from. Stereotypical stories featuring an apocalypse usually started out with only one which had somehow gotten infected. Were these people from the world he used to live in?

"Let's go check the dorms first!" Kaito stated as he kicked a piece of rubble out of his way. The rubble collided with the nearest wall created a loud bang is it dispersed into multiple pieces.

Maki immediately turned in Kaito's direction, wearing a death glare which could send even the scariest of creatures flying in the other direction. "Could you be any louder?" She almost hissed. Shuichi could practically see her launch herself onto Kaito, bearing that knife which he couldn't feel he could trust her with.

During the last class trial, she seemed suspicious and defensive about her identity, and he still couldn't figure out why. It was also clear that Kokichi was aware of this too. Just another mystery added to Shuichi's list of things he had to figure out. Right at the top of this list, was the identity of the mastermind. After all, if he figures this out, the killing game will end. Next is the secret of the outside world followed by how they all got into this killing game.

Shuichi couldn't help his curiosity to solve a certain case, however. And this case was Kokichi, the Ultimate supreme leader. To Shuichi, he acted to the opposite of a leader; distancing himself from them all, lying so that nobody would trust him. Well, that was just a theory. Shuichi had a feeling Kokichi wasn't who everyone thought he was...

They made their way to the dorms. It was currently dark, which automatically put the three of them on edge, however, they still hadn't encountered a single zombie.

"I wonder how the others are doing... I can't help but think that we should have got Miu to create some sort of walkie-talkie so that we could contact them if we found anything." Shuichi said as they approached the dorm's entrance. Maki was the first to enter, not even bothering to check for zombies as she fearlessly made her way across the room.