Chapter 11: Broken Memories

Shuichi finds out things about himself he never thought would have existed... Is this really him?

(Warning: This chapter will contain scenes of bullying/harassment.)

Shuichi's vision was enveloped in with bright golden lights. Words, information and memories whirl-pooled around his body as he struggled to focus on one single thing. The abundance of new information was overwhelming. It laid in every corner of his sight and his eyes darted around, searching, searching for something to focus on. Something which might be a clue on how to stop this motive, and maybe the killing game altogether.

Then, everything turned back.

——
"Number 184, my name is #&£€¥§$.

I've always been a huge fan of Danganronpa... And always wanted to be in one..."

Was that... him? Shuichi was standing in the middle of a lowly lit room with wooden floorboards. His hat obscured what his expression would have looked like at the time. And what is... Danganronpa?

"If I were a contestant, I would want to be... An Ultimate Detective.

...What?

I know there's been a few in the past, and I've always loved those characters. So I would want to be one of them.

Characters?

Ah but I don't *have* to be a detective. I'd be anything just to be part of the show."

Show? Shuichi felt so lost. This person's personality just seemed different from his own. Were they really meant to be the same person?

"And I mean that, anything. I'd do... anything to be part of Danganronpa.

I promise, if I get selected, I will work as hard as I can!

I'll come up with the best, most gruesome murders, I promise! Everyone will love it!"

Shuichi choked. He felt as though he wanted to be sick. This... this was horrible. This couldn't be him. He was unsure about it, to begin with, however now he was sure that this 'Danganronpa' was the killing game they were all being forced to participate in. Was this really trying to make him believe he 'volunteered' to participate? The Shuichi from his memory had obviously grown eager now, he could hear the excitement dripping from his words.

"And an Ultimate Detective hasn't been the blackened yet, so I'm sure I could do that!

I'm also thinking about... The perfect punishment for an Ultimate Detective..."

He was looking into the eyes of someone who was mentally ill. Is someone so devoid of any natural feelings that he was fine about all this?

"I want to get all the characters to trust me. And once they do... that is when I'll commit my murder. I'll use the motives. Nobody will ever know it was me."

Shuichi felt as though he was going to cry. This couldn't be him. There was no way. He wasn't the type who would just use his friends like that. He would never take advantage of them for his own benefit.

"I swear, if I become a contestant, I won't let you down."

It was almost too much. The prospect of being a completely different person from how he thought he was... It was just overwhelming. Can someone link that really ever change? The memory faded to black yet Shuichi had a sinking feeling in his chest that the memories were far from over.

Next came a few images which flashed quickly before his eyes. The first showing a large bedroom. The room undeniable belonged to an obsessive fan. Posters of a light pink haired girl wearing a tie littered the walls. The room was strangely dark, depressing almost. Merchandise of unfamiliar characters filled the shelves however Shuichi didn't miss the black and white bed sheets, the shades separated down the middle. He sucked in a breath as he noticed the Monokuma figurine, then the poster, then the pill- The imagine switched once more.