Chapter 8: Liar, Lair, Pants on Fire!

The intruders' identities are revealed and some shit goes down between them and Kokichi...

As soon as two figures entered the gym, Kokichi let go of all support for Shuichi, causing him to painfully fall onto the wooden floorboards of the gym. Shuichi failed to prevent himself from yelping as his leg made contact with the hard surface.

A grin laced the leader's lip when the two shadows revealed themselves to be Kaito and Maki. He took a couple of steps forward away from the struggling detective on the ground.

"Well, what a lovely surprise!" Kokichi sneered. However, both Kaito and Maki ran right past him, completely ignoring his remark.

"Shuichi! Are you ok, sidekick?" Kaito asked, concern tracing his words.

Shuichi nodded. "Y-yeah. I'm glad to see you guys seem ok too."

"Lair," Maki remarked. "What happened to your leg?"

"Was it from the explosion we heard?" Kaito questioned. "We got pretty held up back there by those zombies. Once we managed to get free from them, we tried searching around but couldn't find you anywhere! After a couple more hours of looking, we decided to head back for some rest and continue searching for you and the others in the morning. That's when we heard some loud explosion, causing us to both investigate. Where even were you?"

Shuichi pointed to the door which led to the gym storeroom. "I ran into some trouble once I began searching in here. That storeroom was the only option I had at the time to hide. Lucky I did go there in the end though, or else I never would have found him."

Three sets of eyes landed on said person, who was still grinning away.

"Kokichi!" Kaito bellowed, which was highly unnecessary considering the distance between them. "Where is Gonta?!"

"He was with you last time I saw him..." Maki commented.

Kokichi's smirk didn't even falter. All he did was shrug. "That naive idiot? I left him for the zombies to chow on. He was an excellent bodyguard up to then though! I guess I just got bored..."

The reaction was instantaneous.

"How dare you!!" Kaito seethed aggressively in Kokichi's directed. Kokichi just remained smirking, holding his hands up in an 'I don't give a shit' gesture.

"Let's be honest though, Gonta wasn't going to last 5 minutes in this killing game!! Good thing he got killed off before things got really ugly..."

Kaito didn't even have time to knock some sense into the boy before getting beaten to the mark. Maki had appeared next to Kokichi quicker than Shuichi thought possible. So fast it was as though she'd teleported over there. Could humans even move that fast?

Suddenly, she firmly grabbed the leader's small in a death grip, hoisting him up so his tiptoes barely even scratched the ground. Maki's whole demeanour had darkened dramatically. Her crimson eyes were almost glowing under the dark shadows of her hair while she singlehandedly begun choking the boy.

"Ack... W-well, I hardly e-expected someone like you to do s-something like this.." Shuichi could clearly see that Kokichi was finding it increasingly difficult to grin now, even though he was still putting in the effort just to piss Maki off.

"Shut up." She instantly backfired. "Now, tell us what really happened to Gonta. No more lies."

"Sureee... Gonta is still alive! I bet he's out in the courtyard somewhere look- ack! Looking for bugs!"

"Now that's obviously a lie," Kaito growled. "Why would he be doing something like that while all this is going on?!"

Kokichi tried to shrug once more however couldn't quite manage it because of the position he was in. "Gonta sure loves bugs!"