Chapter 8

Demi spent the following week camped out at Santana’s house.  She had called her manager and her mom and let them both know what had happened telling them that she was going off the grid for a while.  She asked her manager to re-schedule any upcoming tv and radio appearances.  Wilmer was blowing up her phone with text messages and voicemails not to mention the press was trying to reach her as well since inevitably the news of Demi and Wilmer’s breakup surfaced and everyone was trying to get the scoop.  Demi ended up turning off her phone, happy for a little peace and quiet.  The kids were going crazy that Demi was actually staying with them.  Santana was trying to avoid a media frenzy at her house so she had them promise to not tell their friends or anyone else.  She even sweetened the deal by agreeing to go to the frozen yogurt place even throwing in unlimited toppings if everyone was able to keep the secret.  Rachel and Quinn took turns checking on Demi’s condo and grabbing her clothes.  Santana was careful to pick them up from Quinn only at work so that no one would follow Rachel or Quinn to her house.

Demi felt at home when Santana and the kids were with her; however, her mind seemed to wander back to that day whenever she had the house to herself.  She was living in sweats, watching crime shows, and eating junk food; although on a positive note she was showering daily afraid she would gross out Santana too much if she didn’t.  Santana had been great - always there to lend a shoulder and be supportive, as well as checking in with her throughout the day.  Santana was the one person that seemed to be able to get her out of whatever funk she was in.  Demi was so appreciative to have her in life.  Even though they hadn’t known each other very long, they had become fast friends.  Their friendship was akin to the closeness she felt with some of her friends that she had known since childhood.

Demi was curdled up on the couch watching TV when Santana got home.  Santana came in, grabbed the remote, and turned towards the TV powering it off.

“Hey!  What did you do that for?” said Demi.

“You and I need to talk.” said Santana kneeling in front of Demi placing her hands on Demi’s knees.  Santana thoughts drifted to how perfect Demi’s body felt in her hands even if it was just her knees.  She felt her heart rate quicken as she tried to stay focus on the task at hand.

Demi started getting nervous that she had worn out her welcome.  “About wh- what?”

“I need your help with something which is ultimately going to help you.”

“Uh, sure, I think.  What do you need me to do?”

“Come with me.” said Santana pushing off Demi’s knees while holding out her hand to her.  Demi put her hand in Santana’s as she got off the couch.  Santana led Demi to her bedroom.

“What’s this?” said Demi looking at what appeared to be leopard baby doll shirt and black biking shorts laying out on the bed.

“That’s your uniform.”

“Uniform?  Excuse me?  What are you talking about?”

“Well, we are short for tonight’s Smashball game, so you will be playing for my team, the She-tahs.”

“Uh, I’m not ready to face the world, Santana.  Can’t you find someone else?  I’m not even that good at dodgeball.”

“First, yes, you are great a dodgeball because you have had an amazing teacher these last few months.” said Santana smiling.  “Now it’s time to really put your skills to the test.  Second, no one else is available.  This will be fun.  It gets you out of the house, it helps me out of a pinch, and you get to throw balls at people that you can pretend are Wilmer and really channel those emotions you are feeling.  It’s a win-win for everyone.”