Chapter 10

The next morning . . .

D:  San – wanted 2 check n with u.  How r u feeling?

S:  I’m at work in a meeting.  I’m ok.  Will talk to you l8tr.

D:  K.  Give me a call.  I’ll b around.

Santana knew she wasn’t ok.  She wasn’t at work either.  Instead, she was at home taking what she liked to call a “sanity day” trying to process everything going through her head.  Hearing from Brittany had really thrown her for a loop.  Santana grabbed her phone and texted Quinn.

S:  Hey – can u come over after work 2night?

Q:  I have 2 pick up the kids right after work.  I can’t leave until Rachel gets home.  I should b able 2 b there around 8pm, tho.  K?

S:  Yeah, just get here as soon as you can.

Q:  What’s going on?  I know u aren’t @ work 2day.

S:  I got a call from Brittany.  Will explain 2night.

Q:  Holy sh*t!  I’ll b over as soon as I can.  Don’t do anything stupid b4 I get there.

S: Just get here . . .

_____

Demi called her Manager and asked that she send over some paraphernalia for the charity event to Santana at work.  It was a fairly light day for her, just a radio interview, one meeting, and then writing/playing with Nick in the evening.  Her mind drifted to Santana and Brittany.  Santana had shown her a picture of Brittany not too long ago.  She was everything that she wasn’t – blonde, blue eyes, tall, gorgeous.  She was Santana’s first real love and her high school sweetheart.  The more Demi thought of the reality of the situation the more depressed she got.

Santana had shared some of why they broke up but not all the details.  Whatever had happened, it was big and dramatic especially since Brittany had landed in prison.  She had no idea what Brittany could have done that would put her in jail.  Thinking of that gave her some hope that Santana wouldn’t re-unite with her past lover but the more she played it out in her mind, the more she convinced herself that Santana was still in love with Brittany.  Last night had proved that.  Look at her reaction.  Right?  What else could it be?  Demi tried to suppress her true feelings for Santana.  There was really no point.  She was never going to reciprocate them.  It was time for her to move on and think of Santana for what she was – a friend, just a friend.  Demi took a few deep breaths and motivated herself to start getting ready for her interview.

_____

Later that evening, Santana opened the door for Quinn.  Quinn stepped into Santana’s house and gave Santana a big hug.

“Sorry, I’m so late.  Rachel just got home.  Are the kids in bed already?”

“Yeah.”

“Ok.  Let’s talk.”

Santana led the way to the living room and plopped down on one of the sofas.  “Do you want anything to eat or drink?”

“No.  Now, dish.”

“Well, I was having coffee with Demi yesterday, and I ended up getting a call during our conversation from a number that I didn’t recognize so I sent it to voicemail.  Demi went to the restroom and I ended up checking the message.  Santana picked up her phone and scrolled through her voicemails.  Finding the one she was looking for, she handed her phone to Quinn.  “Listen to it.”