Chapter 12

Demi was exhausted.  Her meeting had lasted much longer than she anticipated.  In the middle of it, she had to shut off her phone as it started blowing up.  Apparently some stupid paparazzi took pictures of her and Nick kissing which had gone viral.  They could be such bottom feeders at times.  At the end of the day, it was nothing she wasn’t used to; however, she this caused her to have numerous side conversations with her publicist to determine how they would be handling the situation which ultimately elongated her day.

When she finally got home, she collapsed on the couch, completely exhausted.  She took a deep breath and sighed as she turned on her phone again.  Immediately, the counts on her texts and voicemails started to increase.  Thank god for visual voicemail so she could go directly to the messages she wanted hear.  She listened to a couple from her friends who inevitability wanted to know the story with Nick.   She would return those later.  She closed out her voicemail screen and switched over to bring up her texts.  Nick had texted earlier and wanted to see her but frankly she needed to get some sleep and she was fairly certain that wouldn’t happen if she invited him over.  She texted him back that she would call or text him later as she didn’t want to seem like she was blowing him off.

Demi yawned and leaned her head back on the sofa.  Her thoughts drifted to Santana.  She wondered how she was doing.  Santana hadn’t been very verbose on her latest texts so Demi was really clueless if she was doing better.  It seemed like forever since she had talked to her and yet it had only been a few days.  She scrolled down her phone numbers until she found Santana’s number and hit send.  She waited for Santana to pick up, but unfortunately only got voicemail.

“Hey San, this is Demi.  I was just trying to reach you to see how you were doing.  Give me a call.  It has been a long day so I won’t be up much longer.  Maybe we can grab coffee soon.  I miss you . . .”  Demi hung up and put the phone beside her on the couch.  A few minutes later she heard her phone ring.  Demi smiled when she saw the familiar face flashing on her phone.

“Hey, Demi.”

“Hey, Mom.”

“You ok?  You sound tired.  Have you eaten?  Are you sick?”

Demi chuckled, “Mom, I’m fine.  Don’t worry.  I’m just tired but I’m going to be in bed soon.  How are you?”

“I’m okay.  I’ve been getting a lot of calls today.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yes . . .  so I have to ask if the rumors are true.  Am I going to be a grandmother?”

“Shut up, mom!  Really?  Really?”

Dianna laughed and said with a pouty voice, “You mean it’s not true?  I was so excited!  I had already started knitting booties.”  She loved teasing her daughter and she always had plenty of opportunities to do so since the rumor mill was always hopping.

“Ugh, mom.  Trust me, you will be the first to know when I get preggers.”

“Good!  Ok, so let’s head to the next one that I’m hearing.  You and Nick?”

There was dead silence on the phone.

“Ok, I will take that as a ‘yes’.   Are you going to give me some details?”

“Well, mom, it all happened so fast, it’s a little bit of a blur.  I had no idea that Nick liked me like that.  I mean, I just went to his house to do some writing and then one thing sorta lead to another.”

“Demi, you just broke up with Wilmer.  Don’t you think this is a little quick?”

“I know, I know, but it’s not like I haven’t known him forever.  He’s a good guy.  He really cares about me.”