Chapter 9

Santana and Demi were both extremely busy over the next few weeks; Santana with work and some travel and Demi with re-scheduled radio and tv appearances not to mention general planning for the next leg of her tour.  They talked most days either via phone calls or texts.  Amazingly, they were able to squeeze in a coffee date after going so long not seeing each other.  As Santana was about to head out to meet Demi, she received a text.

Demi:  Hey, my meeting is running long here.  I’m probably going to be an hour late tonight.  Do you want to re-schedule?

Santana:  Nope.   I will just bring my laptop and do work until you get there.  I have plenty to do so no rush. :-(

D:  Ok.  Sounds good.  I will b there as soon as I can.

S:  K – looking forward 2 seeing the whites of ur eyes!  I’m beginning 2 forget what u even look like. ;-)

D:  LOL – me 2!

Santana went back to her study and grabbed her computer and a stack of work.  After kissing the kids goodbye one more time, she headed out.

Santana arrived at her favorite coffee place, Urban Java.  Once there, she got her coffee and then picked out a booth to setup shop.  She took her laptop and earbuds out of her bag.  While her laptop was booting up, she plugged her earbuds into her phone, selected a retro playlist, and hit play.  She internally sang with the Depeche Mode song that was playing.  Listening to music always helped her focus.  Soon she was plowing through the mountain of work she had to do for the next day.  After about an hour, she received a text from Demi.

Demi:  Just wrapped up.  Headed 2 the car.  Should b there shortly.

S:  K – see u soon!

Santana went back to working trying to finish as much as possible so she could focus on catching up with Demi when she arrived.  About 10 minutes later she got another text.

Demi:  San – something just came up.  Need 2 cancel. :-(

Santana frowned when she read the text from Demi.  She was visibly disappointed.  Moments later, she heard a familiar voice, “What’s up, stranger?  Surprise!  Did you think I would miss my coffee chat time with you?” said Demi winking.  Demi was always a practical jokester. 

Santana pulled one earbud out as she said, “That’s just rude.  I mean, it’s been years since I last saw you.  You get my hopes and all and then just crush them like a tiny bug under some big ass shoe.  You really shouldn’t toy with a girl’s emotions like that!” said Santana feigning hurt and distress.

Demi laughed.  “I’m so sorry.  I just didn’t realize that my actions had that kind of an effect on you.  Now, come over here and give me a hug.  I’ve missed you!”

Santana pulled her other earbud out, got up, and gave Demi a big bear hug.  “I’ve missed you, too.”  Santana had missed Demi more than she cared to admit.  She had grown accustomed to having her in her bed, doing some pseudo-cuddling.  But now their “real” lives had taken over making it nearly impossible to see each other live and in person.

Demi set her stuff down.  “I’m going to go get some coffee.  You ready for a refill?”

“Indeed.” said Santana handing her cup to Demi.

“The usual?”

“Yep”

“Okay, I’ll be right back and then we can do some serious catching up.”

Demi came back shortly with piping hot coffees for both of them along with two slices of lemon pound cake.  “I was totally hungry for something sweet so I got you a piece of pound cake, too.”