Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Y/N

Lisa and I spend the next few hours trying to put away my things in the little space she has available and catching up on old times. My and Lisa's parents are from East Seoul and the hobi convinced Lisa to move back here with them 6 months ago. All four of our parents were high school best friends & trekked off to Oregon together. Always joined at the hip, Lisa and I were destined to be almost sisters. When they asked her to move, she was eager to transfer schools since her fashion design classes weren't going as well in Busan. Apparently Deagu has a great art school and she felt like her "skills" (her words not mine) could be better utilized in Seoul. Apparently gaudy is acceptable in Deagu. Lisa also managed to pick up a bartending job at a club down the street from Corkscrew. She's been telling her parents she's dog walking on the weekends for extra money. Her parents must be getting senile in their ripe old age because last time I checked Lisa hates animals.

She quickly tells me of a job opening at Mack's. "Mack's? What kind of place is this?" "It's a burlesque club, but don't worry you would just be waitressing. Tips are great and it's something you can start immediately with no experience. The guys will love your Pocahontas look." Son of a... If one more person says Pocahontas I'm going to go postal. "Did you say down the street from Corkscrew? What is this? The strip club district? Geez. Where did you convince me to move, Sin City?" "Don't be looking a gift horse in the mouth. You can probably start tonight if you come with me to start my shift. We are short handed and it gets busy on Saturday nights." What was a gift horse and why would I be looking at it in the mouth? Sometimes I didn't understand the things that poured from Lisa's repertoire. The club opens at 5:00 so that gave us two hours to get something to eat and get dressed. Lisa takes me to a diner a couple blocks away. We gorge on deep fried foods and sweet tea which are staples in Seoul, and catching up on everything she may have missed since the funeral in Busan.

Lisa and I return to the apartment where she starts rifling through my things. "Hey what do you think you are doing?" "Finding you something to waitress in." Shouldn't she be looking for comfortable shoes then? I'm pretty sure every waitress I witnessed in Busan wore those white orthopedic shoes and an apron. Didn't seem too complex to me. "You have to look the part if you are going to work at Mack's." "Whoa whoa whoa....you said I was just waitressing." "You are, but you can't work there without looking the part. Don't worry I won't go too crazy for your first night, but you still have to convince them to hire you remember?"

What happened to job interviews that entailed a nice business suit and kitten heels? I quickly shower and return to her bedroom. We both mutually agree on something sexy but not too trashy. Ok slightly trashy.Dressed in a black mini skirt, heels that will probably be killing me before the night is done if I get the job, and a red sequined tank I begin to do my hair. It takes three passes over every lock to get the flat iron to tame my mane and before I know it we have to leave.

Mack's is close enough to walk to, but given our choice of shoes we agree to take her Prius instead. We park behind the building and find our way through the back entrance. InSide is dark but not smoky like I thought it would be. Thank God for smoking laws in Seoul. Second hand smoke makes me smell like a brushfire and clogs my windpipe. Girls flood in and out of a dressing area in little to nothing and prance on their super tall hooker heels. Lisa finds a man dressed in a black polo shirt that she addresses as Sam and starts chatting in a corner. Not five minutes pass by when Sam and Lisa both approach me. Sam eyes me up and down and then asks a few short yes or no questions. No I don't do drugs. Yes I can carry a drink tray. He didn't ask if I would also drop it, but the answer is yes to that one too. Yes I am 21. No I will not ever want to dance. Burlesque really isn't my thing. Not to mention I trip over my own feet sometimes. I also have a terrible sense of space. I'm like a cat whose whiskers were cut off, always running into walls. Satisfied 75% with my answers, he apparently gives me a passing grade and agrees to let me work on a trial basis. Lisa escorts me to the bar and goes over a few of the house rules with me. Flirt as much as possible to make good tips. Try not to spill drinks on customers. I don't think that was a usual house rule, but she knew she needed to add it especially for me. Don't let the guys get too handsy with me. Got it. How hard could it be? I then meet Rob and James who are the bouncers at Mack's. Should any guys start to cop a feel I am to signal one of them and let them take care of it. No problem. A few hours and dances later I am getting into the swing of things. By the end of the night I have a pocket full of tips and no horror stories to tell.Not a bad night. Lisa may have been right about this gig.