Surfaced Memories (ft. Embarrassment)

Resu lay on her back on her bed, one leg loosely crossed over the other, her foot swinging almost rhythmically. Her earbuds were plugged in and her eyes were glued to her phone screen, tapping at it with one hand with the other behind her head. She was currently texting Nishinoya and Tanaka, who asked if they could come over to hang out.

To: Noya, Tana

yeah i don't see why not. my siblings aren't usually home anyways so it shouldn't be a big deal. ¯\_(⌣̯̀⌣́)_/¯

Her phone buzzed nearly a moment later.

From: Noya

YAY!╰(✧∇✧)╯oh, i forgot to ask, is it ok if asahi wants to come too??

From: Tana

did u even ask him yet or

From: Noya

no but he probably wants to hold on i'll text him rn

From: Noya

he said yeah

To: Noya, Tana

that's fine, the more the merrier lmao. come around 1 then?

From: Tana

sounds good

From: Noya

see u then!!!

Resu placed her phone on her nightstand and stretched before pulling out her earbuds. As long as they didn't hang out in her room, she was fine with them coming over. Not only was her room pretty small, it was also filled to the brim with anime merch. Nobody needed to see that stuff.

A loud knock on her door nearly scared her out of her skin and she glared at it in confusion. Her siblings should be at work right now. Did one of them forget something and just come back to grab it?

Hitomi opened her door and leaned in with a bored expression.

"Make sure you're dressed before twelve, we're having guests over for dinner."

"Huh? What?"

Her sister rolled her eyes.

"I told you last week that I saw one of our old neighbors at the market the other day and invited them over. I'm guessing you don't remember?"

"No... I don't," Resu said slowly. "But I already told some of my friends that it was okay to come over because you guys weren't here."

"That's fine, we might be a little cramped but we have enough food," Hitomi said, curling a piece of long black hair around her finger. "They have a kid around your age too, you guys can just hang in here."

Resu blanched at the thought. It would not only be extremely awkward but also very uncomfortable, considering they'd all have to sit close to each other on the floor. She knew, however, that arguing with her sister was useless.

"Who even is it anyways?" She growled, her tone dipped in annoyance.

"We used to live near them when...mom was alive," Hitomi paused between her words, watching with a frown as Resu dropped her gaze to the floor and stiffened. "Tetsurou is their name. You went to the same grade school as their son, I think. They lived across the street from us but you were never really friendly with him."

Resu's eyes narrowed in thought. Tetsurou? Why does that sound familiar? A pair of glinting eyes and a sly grin entered her mind and she grimaced. Was that why he was acting weird at the practice match? She was a bit surprised that he had even remembered her, considering Hitomi said they were never really friends. Even before the whole accident with her family, she was never a very friendly child. She wasn't loud and brash as she was now, but rather the opposite - quiet and shy.