CHAPTER 6

Sapphire St. Clair's POV

"Mind if we join you?"

So much for my misfortune today this might be the highlight. I glared at his insolent look praying he would heed my silent warning and leave us in peace. But this Greek devil was pointedly ignoring my acid look.

"Sorry, but you are..." I heard Xavier ask him pleasantly.

The insolent bastard merely smiled pleasurably in Xavier's direction as he extended his hand. "Pardon me. I am Loukas Spiridakou business partner of Daniel St. Clair for this latest venture of his and this is Cassie Vitalis a good friend of mine."

The recognition hits Xavier's eyes as he shakes this bastard's hand eagerly. "Oh! You are the owner of this hotel. Very pleased to meet you, Mr. Spiridakou. I am Xavier Levy the legal counsel for St. Clair Diamonds. I am here to oversee the minor issue in our company's contract." He smiled friendly to the Greek heiress. "Pleasure to meet you, Miss Vitalis."

"Likewise." The woman replied regally.

I pointedly ignore their pleasantries and just focus my attention on the menu in my hand. I cursed silently when I heard Xavier invite them to join our table. "Please, it's a pleasure to join our table for a pleasant lunch."

"Thank you." My annoying ex replied, taking the opposite chair from me. Now I have to suffer from his unwanted gaze throughout this lunch thanks to this four-seater table.

The waiter once again approached our table and gave the newcomers a menu of their own. I was already aware of the burning gaze he threw in my direction but I just buried my face behind the menu in my hand.

"I'm sorry if I didn't recognize you instantly, Mr. Spiridakou." I heard Xavier start the conversation to avoid the awkward silence at our table. "I have no idea that you are this friendly. I thought you were hard to approach."

"People always mistook me for being ruthless but once they get to know me they realize that I am not." He replied casually. I was aware that his words were directed at me. It was as if he meant those words to me.

"How long have you known Mr. St. Clair?"

"Long enough." He answered nonchalantly. My heart sank as I gave him a silent warning. One wrong word coming from his mouth and he would regret it dearly. "My association with the St. Clairs is agreeably long. I met them a few years after I graduated from the university."

Xavier nodded casually. "I gather that much now. No wonder you seem close enough to the St. Clair sisters that's why you approach us. Mr. St. Clair treats people who he trusts dearly like a member of his family."

"I agree with you." He answered, still looking at me with those intense eyes. "The St. Clair sisters are sociable people. They aren't hard to get along with."

I married one of them, his eyes seem to be telling me. I avoided his knowing gaze and was forever thankful that the waiter approached us again to get our order. I just ordered the first thing I read on the menu since I don't have an appetite now. Xavier and Loukas waited for this Greek heiress to place her order before giving theirs. The Greek bastard also ordered a bottle of wine one of the most expensive on the menu for the four of us.

"It must be fun working with the family business." For the first time, Cassie Vitalis joined the conversation and threw a direct question at me.

"Ah...yes," I said simply, I was still aware of the interesting look from the man across me while he was engaged in a small conversation with Xavier about business and whatnot. "I love my work."

"You are Sapphire, right?" She seems nice enough and she has this friendly vibe in her. She had no idea that I was the ex-wife of the man she'd been dating. "I heard that St. Clair heiresses are all named after certain gemstones, am I right?"