CHAPTER 22

Loukas Spiridakou's POV

The dinner itself was uneventful as I hope. No one in Sapphire's family raised questions I bet they've been dying to ask since I was uninvited to join their family dinner hosted by their grandfather.

But I couldn't miss the way her sisters' curious eyes focused their attention on us whenever Daniel asked a question directly to me or their sister, Sapphire.

I hid my smile when I saw the curiosity in their faces hoping that their grandfather would probably ask how we got back together or when. They tried to make light conversation over the table but I could sense their eagerness to learn more about us.

I glanced down at my Sapphire who sat next to me. She remained silent throughout the dinner and only spoke when the question was directed to her other than that she was absently eating her food.

I held her hand that was resting in her lap. I squeezed it lightly to reassure her that I was there and everything would be fine. She turned her head slightly on me and gave me a smile my heart swelled at the gesture.

After the dessert had been served and the intimate dinner was almost over. I was surprised when Daniel spoke. "Do you have a minute? I want to talk to you in the library." He eyed each member of his growing family. "It's business."

I eyed the sly old man preventing myself from smiling. Leave it to this man to roast me alone in his library when he knew damn well that his granddaughters had been dying to hear the juicy details of how Sapphire and I got back together.

I smiled reassuringly at Sapphire when she shot me a worried look. "Don't worry, this will not take hours, I assure you."

"Excuse us." When Daniel stood from his chair so did I.

I followed him silently fully aware of the several eyes that were directed at us. I was sure that they were all aware of this inevitable conversation with the head of the St. Clair family. We ascended the staircase until we reached the second floor where the family library was located. I've been there several times in the past whether conducting business with him or just simply chatting with my grandfather-in-law.

I carefully closed the heavy wooden door behind me as I followed him even further inside the huge library.

"Have a seat, boy." He gestured to the leather chair in front of his mahogany table where he sat comfortably.

"Thank you," I replied, taking the offered chair. I tried to make myself comfortable when I knew damn well the reason for this 'talk'.

Silence filled the room. He just sat there in his chair looking at me with cold green eyes. Those same eyes knew everything. Finally, after an eternity he spoke. "So you and Sapphire again, huh? I'm surprised."

"You are?" I eyed him dryly. Really, who does he think he was talking to? Sadly, I knew him damn well. "Just drop the pretense, will you? I know you are not least surprised."

"I think I have no idea what are you talking about, lad."

I straightened up on my chair and crossed my legs together. "Stop acting like you don't know a damn thing when we both knew that you orchestrated everything. From opening a store in Greece and sending Sapphire to oversee the new branch. Nice try."

"That's quite harsh, my child." He permitted himself to smile slightly not giving an inch of emotion in his face. He poured whiskey on the two glasses on his table. "You must be mistaken, Loukas. I didn't plan anything as you accused me. Have you forgotten about our new business venture? I am going to expand the St. Clair Diamonds abroad and I will start my plan in Greece."