Get Your Head in the Game!

I finally decided to tryout for the basketball team after Mary suggesting that I tryout.

As soon as the class ended, I quickly put my things in my locker and went downstairs to the gym for the tryout.

"Hey! I'm so happy you decided to come!" Mary exclaimed while she was doing an arm stretch. I noticed Alexa wasn't there, so I was assuming that Mary had a little more freedom than usual.

"I know. I was a little doubtful at first." I admitted. I started to copy Mary's arm stretch but I was interrupted by a loud whistle.

"Guys! Have a seat around me!" Exclaimed Mr. Roxter, our gym teacher.

Everyone started to sit down in several clumps near the teacher. I could tell who was friends with who, as they were sitting in small groups. Some were whispering and giggling.

"Okay, we had good turn out this year. So, you will be running through a series if basic drills to showcase your basketball skills. For a quick warmup, you will run 3 laps around the gym, 10 burpees and 5 push ups." Mr. Roxter finished. He went over to the speakers and turned a pop music station on. I smiled as Fancy by Iggy Azalea started to play. 'I love that song' I cheered in my brain.

After our warm up, I felt ready to play. I was also the tiniest bit nervous. I slowly took a deep breath and told myself I was going to try my best whether I got in or not.

I picked up a ball after our teacher explained the first drill we had to do. It was a simple layup and rebounding drill. We were split up into two groups: The rebounders, and the offensive players.

I went to the back of the line with my basketball. One, two, shot. Right, left, right. I counted to myself as I went for a layup. The shot dropped perfectly in through the net and I pretended I didn't care. I didn't want anyone to think I was overly cocky.

We only did three more drills because Mr. Roxter wanted us to have time to play a game. He explained how he wanted to see how we applied our skills in a game situation.

One terrible thing happened though. When I was on the bench as a substitute, I watched the game attentively. I tried to scope out who was really good.

I looked over to see Sabrina sitting right beside me. It was almost as if she was staring at me, like she was sizing me up. I jumped a little as soon as I noticed her.

"Hi, Sabrina. I didn't know you were into basketball." I slowly commented as I glanced down at her mini yoga short things. Were they supposed to be that short? I slowly questioned in my mind. Then, I self consciously looked down at my baggy basketball shorts and old Jordan Airs. Well, fashion's never been my thing anyway. I chuckled in my brain.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I'm the best at it in the school. Count the trophies." Sabrina told me, as though I was a little kid.

"Yeah? Well, I was captain at my old school." I bragged, even though it was a lie. I'd been on the team but I wasn't the captain. 'But, hey, Sabrina would never know that would she!' I could imagine a little devil on my shoulder saying. I mean, I had to do something to top Sabrina. I just had to.

"Hey, let's play a fun game. It's called: Let's-see-who-trips-or-not. But first, let me pick my victim." She smiled deviously.

"How about, Mary. The girl who's Alexa little lap dog." Sabrina said, pointing her manicured finger towards my friend.

"What the hell? We're not gonna do that. Are you stupid? You're gonna get yourself kicked off the team, and hurt whoever you trip! Mary didn't even do anything to you." I spat out at her.

"Shut up, you stupid slut. You never want to do anything fun but steal people's boyfriends. Oh yeah, by the way, I told Elena about you and Jackson..." Sabrina said. She was starting to get on my nerves and I wasn't going to let that happen.

"You're calling me a slut? I don't if you remember but you kissed Jackson! Don't act like the whole school doesn't know that. You can gossip all you want about me, but don't you dare hurt my friends!" I yelled at her. After that last sentence, I was face to face with her.

I decided to turn away from her to signal that our argument was over. I started to turn around until I saw a quick body movement from Sabrina. I turned back around and I saw that she had stuck her leg out! I could see Mary coming from the other end of the court with the ball.

I quickly kicked Sabrina's leg, and she pulled her leg into her chest to soothe it. I smiled as I watched Mary run down the rest of the court and make a perfect 3 point basket. Then, I felt a hand grab my shoulder and whip me around.

"Why did you just kick me?" Sabrina whined.

"Well, for starters, that's what you deserve. Second, I already told you not to do that! I'm not sure if your brain can understand the meaning of the word "no". Maybe next time, I'll make it a little more simple, so you can understand me." I said. I didn't care if that was rude, karma comes back around.

"Whatever. You're still an ugly, slutty, unfashionable girl." As she said the word "unfashionable" she pointed to my current outfit.

"Don't act like you're all that, cuz your not." She stood up dramatically, gave me one last eye roll, and walked out of the tryout.