Chapter 16 Secrets

Nameless's POV
I woke up one afternoon to a mound of toys being fought over by a group of canids. They bicker for the most pointless items , though I understand from being in the big-house . I saw the pups talking outside . I could only hear the words; "family", " escape", " find" , and " go". I was to weary to realize the meaning of those words at the time. I was greeted by a woman in blue pjs giving me a bowl of ,not that slop they call food , but delicious raw meat ! This is amazing ! I acknowledged this gift by looking up at her and nudging my nose her shoes.
After eating I went outside through the dog door . The pups weren't there . In fact I didn't even know where they were! And I ... let's just say I could not follow there scent trail. I went up to the rest of the group and told them the pups left .
" What ! Where do you think they went? Did you get their scent?", they interrogated.
" No, but I did find paw prints leading to the left of the house. We need to go." , I demanded.
" Maybe the girl took them on a walk . You know we just got here, and we don't want to go wandering off to find them , then go to the pound again. Sorry if I sound rude, though," Toby remarked.
   " I agree with him , not just because we're best friends but I don't want to go to the pound again for pups , that might not even be lost , and live in wild naturally anyways . I apologize if this is bounderish," Pudsey agreed .
   " You're right. I guess I was overreacting. But there is something that happened long ago which I cannot repeat . I will find those pups. ", I replied. I  paced around . Waiting for the woman to come back. As soon as that door opens I will run past her and out .
   Click. I bolt out and run as far as I can to the woods . My legs are hurting. Keep going , you can do it. I reached a road . The main road , the one that cars crossed  almost nonstop . I searched and searched for an opening. One car stopped . A kid climbed out . So did the mother . They are walking to me . I dash away taking my chance . Looks like someone had to have a bathroom brake . I think it was from the pups. The forest . I never knew how great it was until now , fresh air , dirt under my paws , a peaceful , free feeling.
   Crack . A stick . Something's near me . I hear a rustle in the bushes.
  "Who's there.", I bark .
   " Nameless!", I hear the pups squeal.
   "What are you doing here." I responded in a playful manner.
   "We were looking for our family . You'll help us right ? You can sniff them out good right? " , Gabby questions .
   " Pups, I am deplorable, but I cannot sniff out your pack for you ." , replied .
   "Why not?" , Mischief postulated.
   " Fine , I'll tell you. When I was younger my wife died when the pups were very young. I had to protect them myself in secret. I had a feeling the police station wouldn't take them how I wanted them to. One day on a murder mission, I was suddenly attacked out of no where. My arch nemesis, Alejandro. You see I was born and grew up in Mexico . I used to work as a police dog there. Back to the subject, I fought and fought. He bit then scratched my nose . I was in a factory for drugs. He went up to a gas pipe , gave some sort of signal to his human partner and clawed open the pipe. Me facing the other direction , had not noticed , I was to focused on my pain . From the start my partner had been separated from me. If only I had not been so distracted from my own injuries, I would have made it out in time . The gas filled the air . I jolted to the exit. When I got out my partner was waiting for me . He told me to track them down. I sniffed and sniffed , no result. To end my shift I was retired as a police dog . To end the day I was forced to give my pups to the police station. I left them there unnoticed . They were to young to understand so they thought they last thing I wanted them to think. That I was a no-good father who abandoned his pups. I will return when they'll be old enough. They will hate me . I just don't have the guts to tell them . I have failed as a father and I do not want to fail you .", I admitted.