26. Settle down

<two years later> 

<Nicky's POV> 

The rain pouring down onto the Jeep of mine was making it impossible to see the road clearly, yet my mood could not be better. After the melancholy of the last year, I was more than happy to be driving towards Litchfield prison. I hadn't seen Alex for a few months now, so my excitement couldn't be put into words. 

The tall raven-haired woman was already standing outside, her head held high, looking into the sky, enjoying the raindrops meeting her bare skin. Even though it had been over two years since I had been released, I could still remember the feeling of finally being free again. 

"Get in the car, weirdo!" I yelled over to Alex who came running towards me. She opened the door and jumped in, her wet sweatshirt touching the leather seat. 

"I missed you," she said. 

"I missed you too," I admitted. "Let's go get some real coffee, huh?" She nodded in agreement. 

----------------------

"How are you feeling?" I asked Vause. 

"Weird," she paused shortly "I feel like I am being watched by everyone. Any moment some C.O is going to come around the corner and give me a shot. It's so weird. But the food is so good." 

"Believe me, they make the best waffles here." 

"Where are we going to stay?"

"You're going to come to my place. Well, Logan and Caleb live there too, but there is some spare room next to my mattress." 

We both laughed, lucky to be reunited once again. "This probation officer is going to be up my ass for the entire month, right? I have to stay in your house, apply for three jobs per week and do random drug tests. I'm not even allowed to drink a sip of wine or they're going to take me back to prison." 

"Wow, the terms of your early release really are strict." 

"You should have seen Lorna when she got early release last year. She was so excited, told me that she has been sober ever since. I'm sorry, should I not have talked about Lorna?" 

"No, I don't mind. I have put an end to love and feelings. No more of that for me. After what happened with Monica, I just gave up." 

"I really am sorry about Monica." 

I smiled half-heartedly, although we were both bummed after she mentioned Monica, I changed the subjects. "Ever since Caleb became a model, he hooks up with every female being. It's crazy!" 

"Well, he is nothing compared to you, right? I bet you still got the upper hand, when it comes to chicks." She laughed. 

<flashback> 

She kissed down my neck while unbuttoning my shirt. Her hands were grazing over my skin. I tried to focus on her, but yet images of Lorna came popping into my brain. "Ugh..." I groaned slightly pushing her off of me. 

"It's too soon. I don't think we should do this?" I couldn't believe I was actually saying this. 

"Why not? We've slept together before, what's the big deal?" Monica asked. The big deal is that I can't stop thinking about my ex-girlfriend, I thought. 

"It should be special this time, I'm serious about us." She smiled as she heard this and seemed satisfied with my answer. I could only hope for the mental burden of Lorna to vanish at some point. 

<flashback ends> 

"Nicky?" 

"What?" I asked confused. 

"We were just talking about how you've got more game than Caleb when it comes to the ladies," Vause grinned. 

"Although that might have been true. I have already peaked, it went downhill ever since." 

Confused by my metaphors, which was very unlike me, Vause asked: "What are you talking about?" 

I sighed before admitting: "I haven't slept with anyone for two and a half years." 

"Two and a half years?!" Vause yelled, causing other guests to turn around. 

"Well, thanks for that," I stated ironically. 

"Wait. Are you serious? How is that possible, Monica passed away only one year ago." 

"I know," I whisper "I never slept with Monica after my release." 

"Wow, why though, I thought you were happy." 

"We were, but- " I sighed, "You know what? I don't want us to talk about depressing stuff on your day. So let's switch the topic. What do you want to do?" 

"Just go home, to your apartment and take a long, hot shower." 

-------------------------

Vause was pressed between Logan and Caleb, who were both half-naked, only dressed in shorts. As soon as they heard Alex's voice they came sprinting towards her and handed let go of her ever since. 

"Why are you guys only wearing shorts?" I asked suspiciously. 

"It's hot in here, the air conditioning isn't working." 

"It's March, it's raining outside you idiot. Next time think of a better excuse." 

Alex exited the room and soon I heard the running water in the bathroom. 

"So I was thinking, we go to a bar downtown, get some drinks, celebrate Vause's return. You three can go off and catch some ladies. What do you think?" 

"That sounds really great, but how about dinner instead. I mean Alex will want something to eat right? And she isn't allowed to drink alcohol anyways." 

"Since when are you so considerate about other people's feelings, Caleb?" 

"You just don't know me. Just for your information, I am a very kind person." 

"We'll see about that." 

"Oh and by the way, Rachel the chick from my work, remember? The blonde one? Really hot, she asked for your number, so you can expect a call from her some day this week." 

"Caleb, you know that I don't date anymore. I really have changed."

"Don't be ridiculous Nichols. You aren't getting any younger, take care of yourself. Live your life! Settle down." 

I laughed at his short speech: "You know what happened the last time I tried to settle down. I chose to be free. Like a unicorn which can't be tamed." 

"Then find a rainbow to settle down with." 

-------------------

We entered the restaurant, Vause walking next to me, the guys right behind us. Although, me and Vause had suggested to go to a bar, Logan and Caleb were too stubborn. 

"Oh my God! Is that you? Tricia!" Vause exclaimed running to the small blonde who was currently serving some food.