28. Reintecy

<Lorna's POV> 

"Lorna! Take care of the babies!" My sister yelled as she exited the house just like every morning. Since I had no place to live she agreed to let me live at her place until I made enough money to buy my own apartment. Although it was a kind gesture, she told me that I had to move out as soon as possible. 

As I was getting more and more angry at my stressful situation in life, I decided to attend business school with the money I had earned from my night shifts at the restaurant and apply for the program called 'reintecy'. It enabled formerly incarcerated people to work at a company to earn money and get back on their feet. 

I had applied for the job as an executive manager as I thought that my strengths of thinking creatively could come in handy. It was the most important day of all and due to the high salary the position would pay, the interview needed to go well. 

-----------------------

After a two-hour bus ride into the city, additionally to half an hour walk, I stood outside the office. It was in a skyscraper building, which looked very fancy.  It almost seemed ironic of me to walk into such a luxurious building. I entered the building and elevator, which reached the 35th floor in a second and walked through the wide hallways down to the sign which read: 'Applicants for jobs please wait outside'. Three other people were already sitting on leather seats anxiously waiting to be called in. 

Nervously waiting for my name to be called, I rehearsed my entire speech. "My name is Lorna Morello. I have been back in New York for over a year now, where I have worked as a waitress and have been attending business school. Although I have almost no experience at management, my classes for international management would make me a valuable asset to your team." 

After roughly ten minutes a woman, who probably was an applicant as well exited the room with a smile on her face. "Thank you so much," she said to the woman behind the door. 

"Next is Lorna Morello." A blonde woman, wearing a white blouse called me in. Her impeccable outfit intimidated me, ever since I was wearing a casual dress. Due to my financial problems, I wasn't able to afford expensive clothes. 

"Please fill out these forms," she said while handing me a piece of paper. I filled in my name, birth date and other essential information. 

"Now I will need to see a passport or drivers license to confirm your identity."

My heart dropped. I didn't have my passport with me. My palms began to sweat as I saw all my failures and worst case scenarios flash by. 

"I-- I- I don't have my passport with me," I stuttered. 

"I am sorry mam, I need to see identification otherwise I cannot submit you." 

"Please." I began to beg, thinking of the situation I was in. "I really need this job, I can come by later or tomorrow and hand my papers in then." 

She tilted her head in hesitation, but then abruptly stood up, walking towards the wooden doors behind her. She knocked three times before opening the doors. "Excuse me to bother you, but Miss Morello, an applicant forgot her passport. Is it possible for her to hand them in tomorrow." 

It stayed silent for a while until the secretary stepped away from the door to let- 

Oh my god. It was her. 

Her. 

The one I hadn't seen in two years. 

The one I had once loved. 

The one I should have chosen. 

The love of my life. 

It was her.