10. Port Royale

Five days later, The Jolly Roger stopped in Port Royale.

Emma hadn't spoken to Hook since their last argument, and she felt that she should apologize. But, she had too much pride, and decided against it.

She did stick to her word, though, and she stayed on the ship with the first mate while the rest of the crew went to the tavern.

"Smee, are you sure that you don't want to go? I'm perfectly fine staying here by myself." Emma told him after everyone had left.

"No, no, Miss Swan. I don't want you to be here all alone," Smee replied. The truth was that he very much wanted to go, but the captain ordered him to stay and watch her.

Emma narrowed her eyes and smirked. "Smee, I know Hook told you to stay here with me, I'm not blind, nor am I a child. If you really want to go, you can."

Smee's cheeks reddened with embarrassment, but he wasn't going to just leave Emma. Sure, he probably would've had a good time with the crew, but he felt bad the girl couldn't go.

"Well, I see no reason to, seeing as though we have all the rum we need right here," he smiled and pulled out two bottles from the crates the crew brought from the hold.

Emma grinned. "You're too kind."

He chuckled. "I know."

Emma sat on the ground in the middle of the deck, her feet growing tired.

Smee plopped down next to her, drinking his rum as Emma turned to him questioningly.

"Smee, tell me something about Hook."

The older man bit his lip nervously, hoping she wouldn't be too curious. "What is it you want to know?"

Emma shrugged. "I'm not exactly sure. He just... Sometimes I see the good in him. He can be kind and gentle, but then he'll just lash out at me, and I don't understand why. It's like, if I get too close, he's afraid that I'll see a part of him he doesn't want me to see. But can you blame me for being curious?"

Smee smiled gently at Emma. "I wish I could help you, but I don't believe it's my place to tell..."

Emma frowned, her frustration growing. Would anyone answer her questions? "Come on, can't you just answer one question?"

Smee chewed the inside of his cheek. "The captain has a... haunting past that he really doesn't like to discuss. Most of the crew knows about it because they've been through it with him, but there are very limited people to whom he's actually spilled his heart out." Smee sighed. "He's not really the type who likes to open up to people. He'll tell you when he's ready. He's got a lot of trust issues, so just... Try to understand."

Emma nodded, slumping back, and didn't press the matter any farther because she understood completely.

X X X

As soon as they made port, Hook rushed into the market where many familiar faces greeted him.

He quickly greeted them all, rushing over to the small boutique his friend, Ariel, had owned ever since she married her true love Eric, and turned from a mermaid into a human.

He probably looked ridiculous, being a man going into a woman's boutique, but he had made up his mind. He was going to buy Emma some clothes.

If she wouldn't accept the money, and go buy it for herself, then he would just have to pick out something for her. He was sure that dress was a nuisance.

Seeing her in Milah's clothes would hurt too much, using Milah's sword already caused his pain-it felt like he was betraying her... But he would get his revenge as soon as his plan was fully thought out.