What Is Going On

Chapter 8

With the little force left within every cadet squished inside this compartment with, the loud sound of triggering weapons echoed through the whole room. You were unable to see through the hazard combination of bright yellow, red colors.

After the ruckus slowly died, you coughed slightly while inhaling the steam that the titans' were rapidly releasing from their now damaged eyes.

"Go!"

You still were blinded from the cloud of smoke, failing to see your comrades slicing the napes of the titans'. Instead, you dropped the gun down to the floor and immediately started counting with your filthy fingers, every time you heard a loud thud for whenever a titan fell down towards death.

'One...two, three, four... five...' Your eager eyes kept a close look to the outer of the elevator, waiting in anticipation for the fog to disappear. You patiently held up the five risen fingers, while holding back the two fingers that would complete the plan. A soft touch poked your side, you turn sideways and face a quizzical Marco.

"Are they done?" He asked, his gun still blocking his stiff chest. You shook sideways, denying.

"Yo! Sasha and Connie didn't make it!"

You ran immediately to the edge of the elevator, trying to jump off the great height and rescue Sasha and Connie from danger while Marco kept a strong grip on your arms, impeding you from leaving the crowded room. Redness started seeping through the corners of your vision as you cursed the airheads that you so called best friends.

The elevator trembled twice and you were finally able to see through the nebulous fog. You shifted gazes from Connie and Sasha as they curled up against their bodies, holding each other tightly, their backs glued to a stoned column and sweat dripping furiously from head to neck.

You released a sigh, resting the struggle from escaping Marco's hold. With shoulders slumped forward, you started laughing softly after facing all the hardships. The 104th succeeded, was this even possible? Apparently.

You jumped a bit, hiccuping at surprise as the elevator continued to descend. After arriving to the bottom, you hopped off and sprinted to your friends who roughly escaped death. With arms widely open, you suffocated both with a bone crashing hug and making them fall hard on their butts.

"Don't play with death you pair of asses!" You exclaimed, their warm breath tickling the back of your neck. Small hands engulfed you back, holding onto you as support until they started to harshly smack you.

"No... air." Sasha's weak voice mumbled. You backed off, a goofy smile planted on your face and hands holding your chest as a sign of relief, before you snapped and stood up straight a serious expression, slapping their behinds, huffing in frustration.

With mouths agape, they stared back ashamed. Before you could start what could be an endless lecture, other cadets called out your attention, demanding you to refill gas and blades immediately.

You dismissed both and ran to the tanks of gas, your steps light as the feathers from the geese your mother used to cook for lunch. 'Food. I sure miss food.' Drool slightly falls off the corner of your lips, but you quickly shut them and resumed focus to your empty containers.

•••

"Would someone care to exclaim what in the world just happened?" You ask, dropping to the floor as every cadet surrounding you did the same. With a hand clasped around your chest, you struggled to breath properly at the sight of Eren sitting farther away from you.