Everything's Not Lost

Chapter 13

You fluttered your eyes wide open, a bit fazed and unconscious after awakening from a deep slumber. The stinging sensation still burned your sides terribly. You remained quiet, looking sideways at Sasha who was still sleeping peacefully, a trail of drool escaping her mouth. Oh, how bad you wanted to chuckle at your adorable friend, but the dark aura lingering within kept you from feeling any joy... well for the meantime.

Rumor has it that Eren was taken into custody by the Survey Corps under the circumstances of his hazardous, titan-shifting capabilities. Things were finally over, allowing you and the rest to have some moment of  tranquility before the choosing ceremony. You cringe at the contemplation, unsure of whether you'd choose the Survey Corps or the Garrisons.

Perhaps Marco's death triggered a thought, reminding everybody that you can never expect for a happy ending under the threat of the titans and that even the most prestigious soldiers can loose to death at any second. His death served as a lesson not only for the squad, but especially for Jean though it only remained as a permanent scar for you. You'd have to make a wise choice.

You finally decide to sit up, stretching your sore muscles and untangling your messy hair. Ahead of you, Mikasa paced throughout the cabin uneasily, her fingers pressed against her red scarf. You battle the fear of questioning Mikasa's commotion and choose to help your comrade out.

"Are you alright Mikasa?" You ask, pushing the warm covers aside and gripping at your crutches, placing them under your armpit. She snaps her neck and glares at you, before sprinting to assist you.

She holds your arm while accompanying you to the bathroom, her cold hands trembling just a fraction. Who would've guessed, that even the strongest soldier of the 104th unit was a tad worried. The cold surrounding hit your skin, as you cursed for not being able to hug your sides. At least you were still alive.

"Just worried about Eren." She mumbles, helping you clean your face with the freezing water. You relaxed as the wet substance touched your skin, soothing some pain, "I hope he's not suffering."

"He's not." You comfort Mikasa, grabbing a towel and drying off, though you know that it takes more than a simply gesture to reassure anyone's distress.

"Eren's scheduled to be present at the tribunal in about 2 hours." She says, guiding you back to the bedroom for you to change.

You frown, a clouded thought budging your mind until you decide to ask her, "Mikasa. Do you like him?" There was no doubt over how possessive the raven haired woman felt towards Eren, especially when either of them ran the risk of death. She started shifting uncomfortably, exchanging glances with the pale wall and attempting to escape the unusual question.

"N-no. I mean... y-yes. As family." You chuckle lightly, "I-it's complicated."

"I'm sure it is." Mikasa glares at you, with a crimson hue upon her cheeks. You raise your arms in surrender, subsequently clutching your ribs for laughing a bit too much.

The sheets next to your bed shuffled, revealing a distressed looking Sasha with a dry line of drool going down her chin. Mikasa stifled a laugh, her stress being relieved by how maladroit Sasha could be. You also smiled, pleased to know that even in the darkest hour, there is always a way out, pleased to know that there'll always be painkillers for the worst days yet to come.

"What are you laughing at?" Sasha asked, her eyes still shut as she stared off into the wall.

"Nothing Sasha... nothing." Mikasa answers, covering her silly smirk with both hands.