If Only

Chapter 11

    'Left... Right... Another right... Shit!' You released the hardened grip off your handles, deactivating the maneuver gear and slowly decreasing your speed with arms shielding your chest in anticipation to what came next.

    Hastily shutting your eyes, you awaited for the bulky stomach of the titan ahead of you to slam against the fragile body of yours. Yet it didn't come and instead a tight arm circled around your hips, dragging you away from the amused looking titan who growled in frustration, clearly annoyed to have its meal taken away so unexpectedly.

    Turning gazes to look at the dark haired man clung into your body, you quickly ruffled his hair, a faint dust of pink puffing his cheeks that held light dots as if it were his own constellation of stars.

    "Thank you Marco." You said as the tall man landed rather unsafely on top of a deteriorating roof, the laps of stone all eventually falling inside the building, a dark cloud of grime flying up the surface followed by the hollow sound of falling bricks and objects.

    Marco nodded with a heart-warming grin before jumping down the roof and escaping from your view. You decided to follow your comrade through the almost empty streets, sometimes hearing piercing growls from titans nearby, but nonetheless you kept doing your job, surviving in the brink of failure with the only objective of buying enough time for Eren, who was most likely oblivious to the miserable state the army was going through.

    "If only that boy could've obtained control earlier." You groaned, unable to not feel a certain anger towards Eren, "You could've spared copious amounts of lives."

    But quite afterwards, you sealed your filthy mouth, impeding yourself from venting out any other meaningless and ridiculous words, conscious enough to realize that you should be thanking Eren instead of complaining such futile ideas.

    An ear-splitting yell exited you out of the trance, worry putting you back on track into reality, the cold and true reality.

    Now fully alert, with widened eyes that a while ago were about to slumber, you run towards the threatening scream, not wanting to imagine what in the world was causing such ruckus. The thick voice kept screaming restlessly, asking for immediate help. You fastened your pace, afraid time was running out and secretly slipping away from your control, afraid you might not be able to save that anonymous voice.

    "Who is it?!" You asked, turning left and abruptly being face planted with the horrifying scene ahead.

    You screamed in fear as you witnessed Marco being severely slapped against a house with the swift and massive palm of a titan. Your friend lied unconsciously, though his chest still rising and falling constantly. Now noticing your presence, the titan changed courses, its repelling feet walking towards you in the slowest manner as if taking its time to pleasure your suffering.

    "MARCO! Answer me!" You yelled from afar, attempting to awake him while being pursued by the titan. You kept a stern gaze at the ill man, his once lively skin now surrounded by a pale pigment, a death aura perpetuating Marco. 

    His body twitched, relieving some stress before you felt a huge pressure on your hips, and no. It wasn't a comforting or warm grip, it wasn't humane. Your eyes threatened to open even wider as you realized that you've let your guard fall down and the consequences were rather quick.

    'No no no. I was looking at Marco for a second, this is a mistake!' You flailed both arms at the big pair of hands, only to notice your blades were knocked off, now laying solitarily on the paved street below you.