3

In the remaining hours that Arthur was allotted before morning, he slept like the dead.
He awoke gently, and happily admired the sun shining through. His mind jumped back to the pleasantness of Merlin of all people, and the night before.

There were only a few glorious moments before there was a tapping on his door. Arthur instinctually pretended to be asleep.

"M'Lord, it is time to start your day."

Arthur exaggeratedly opened his eyes and was then confused at what he saw.

A mousy blond boy stood in the doorway with a tray.

"Where's Merlin?"

"I believe he's helping to cook the feast in the kitchen."

The look of confusion on the prince's face subsided and then promptly returned when the boy added, "although he made this and requested that it was taken to you for your breakfast."

The boy set the tray down on the old wooden table a few feet from the bed. On it was a small bowl of porridge as well as fresh strawberries and a few slices if bread.

Arthur got up to inspect it and smiled. It was the same he had a few hours ago. Merlin had called it "French Toast."

Last night's memories had felt like a dream but this proved that they were all real.

"Thank you, that will be all."

The blond boy bowed his head and left without  a word.

Arthur scarfed down his breakfast and started his day.
It had been a while since he had been allowed to pick out his own outfit, since Merlin was always entrusted to do the job. He had almost forgotten what it was like to dress himself.

He stood there for a moment, trying to decide.

I'll just change later he thought, and threw on a casual outfit.

All training had been cancelled for Samhain, for this was a day of rest and celebration.

Arthur decided to aid in the preparation of festivities. He liked to feel the buzz of the morning.

He had almost forgotten about the arrival of his guest.