8

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that..."

Arthur grinned at this. The pit in his stomach burned brighter, but it was a glowing, pleasurable burn.

In truth, Arthur had always had a peculiar interest in his manservant. He was intrigued by him.

How could someone so clumsy, so irreverent, be so completely enticing?

Arthur had realized his more-than-platonic attraction for his friend, only a month or two after knowing him. He decided to bury it. Recently, it seemed to resurface into something much stronger.

Arthur knew that even if Merlin felt the same, he would never truly get to be with him.
He had heard of lords and masters preferring the company of men to women, but never in marriage. It simply wasn't practical. Especially with a man of his class.

Eventually, he would need an heir. And it wasn't as though Merlin could somehow magically conjure one up.

Arthur felt the burning die with that thought.
Merlin saw his face grow cold.

Arthur had given in to his own temptations. He was ashamed at himself, for putting his interests in front of Camelot's.

Merlin noticed this.
"What is it, Arthur?"

"Merlin..." Arthur's expression grew hard as he looked into Merlin's eyes, "I can't do this."

Merlin's stomach dropped.

Had he not wanted to 'do this' just moments ago?
Had he done something to change Arthur's mind?

"Have I done something?" Merlin offered.

"No. It has nothing to do with you." Arthur looked sadly at Merlin. He desperately wanted to kiss him again but he knew that that would make things even worse.

Merlin's face was pale, or, paler than usual at this sudden rejection. His eyes were somehow bluer. His lips, redder. He just looked different than usual. In fact, tonight,  Merlin looked brutally alive.

Finally, after a long pause Merlin spoke up.
"Perhaps if you weren't a prince...?"

Arthur knew that this might be the last time he would ever get a chance truly express how he felt.

"If I weren't a prince," he put his hand on Merlin's neck, cupping his jaw, "I would show you the world."