5

The music's rhythm swung low, and Merlin felt a buzzing.

Not like an annoying little fly kind of buzzing. It was a warm tingly buzz, that made the hair on the back of his neck stand up.

It was stronger than anything he'd felt before.

He looked up, and just as he did he was met by striking blue eyes a few feet away.
Arthur diverted his gaze, but Merlin had nonetheless spotted him looking.

Merlin found it difficult to keep sight of him with everyone in room swaying.

The buzzing had weakened but was still evident.

He could still make Arthur and the lady out between several waving heads.

He held Madelena tightly.

Merlin watched.

There was a thrill that shot down his back, like someone had run lusty fingertips down his spine and across his body.
He unknowingly gasped.

Merlin looked up, yet again.

Arthur swayed gently with the Lady. He kissed Madelena's forehead and looked up at Merlin with a somber gaze.

It was the same look on Arthur's face when Merlin had tried to send him to bed the night previous. A sort of lingering. A question un-asked and subsequently unanswered.

Over the course of nearly a year, Merlin had gotten to know much about Arthur. He had thought he knew everything. But in these last few days, he wasn't so sure.
Arthur was persistent, strong, and complicated. Merlin knew this; but he never thought if him as wavering.

Now, Arthur seemed conflicted. He kissed Madelena and looked carefully at Merlin.
This was all so confusing to him.

What was he trying to say?

Merlin watched the lady snake her slender arms around his neck and lean up to plant a kiss on his mouth. Her back towards Merlin.

At any other occasion, this would not have been permitted, such affection in the King's banquet hall.

Merlin watched intently.

Arthur was enjoying it.

The two deepened the kiss. Arthur bent down slightly to reach her better.

Merlin briefly lost sight of them through the crowd. The music must've stopped. That was the last thing on his mind in this instant.

In the midst of a long passionate kiss, Arthur's eyes defiantly snaked back up to meet Merlin's.

There was that buzz again. Except it was much hotter this time. It felt like cool fire that shivered through his body with every second that their gaze lingered.

Merlin felt other parts of him come alive too.

What is this? What is happening?

Why is he doing this?

And why do I like it?