Chapter XXII

"Tsukiko, you go with your team to the West area of the village. Tobirama, you will guard the North." Said Hashirama giving both of us a pat on the shoulder, Tobirama turned to look at his brother, he knew he planned something. "Brother, what are you going to do?" He asked with a sadness in his voice, Hashirama looked around, trying not to lay his dark brown orbs on his brother's piercing red ones. "I will defend the village, Tobirama. Whatever it takes. If anything happens to me, you will be the next Hokage." Hashirama gave a weak smile to his brother, who widened his eyes at the statement, along with me of course. "Alright, I will take care of the village with my life."

We all went our separate ways, not knowing if we would make it out alive. Hashirama casted a protection barrier, I could see the chakra emanate from his body. "Tsukiko-sensei!" I heard Torifu yell, standing a few meters away from me. He started running by my side until we reached the West. Danzo and Kagami were already waiting for us there, once they saw us they took a fighting stance, waiting for any enemy to even dare cross the line.

We saw Hashirama's barrier close at just a few centimeters from our faces, he has a big chakra reserve, but how long would he last? I sat down, crossed my legs and i'm pretty sure I received suspicious glances from my team, except Kagami, he knew what I was doing. I succeeded in communicating with Akari-san, who offered her help by soaring in the air and killing anything that moves. I stood up from my position and saw a few shinobi run at us, pointing their kunai at the barrier. I smirked at them, I pulled Kagami to my side and we casted the Uchiha Fireball jutsu, burning the faces of the ones who thought about taking us down. We turned around and saw Torifu with his mouth open, almost reaching the floor due to his amazement. "You are amazing!" He said excitedly.

A few hours passed and we kept killing the enemy, maybe the news travelled so fast that they didn't dare coming to the West entrance anymore. "Stay here, please. I'll go and check on Hokage-sama." It felt weird calling him Hokage and sama. I went running to the center of the village, where I last saw him. He sat there, his eyes closed and sage mode on. I placed my hand on his shoulder and crouched next to him, he smiled at me, without opening his eyes. I felt him twitch and my grip tightened. "Hashirama?" I asked slowly, but obtained no answer. I pressed my palm on his back, giving him a bit of my chakra reserve. His twitching evened out and the barrier turned to a brighter blue. "Thank you, Tsukiko, but you shouldn't waste your chakra." He said almost in a scolding way. I frowned at his answer but brushed it off, now the barrier was back to normal, there was no way of trespassing.

I was running back to my team when I heard shouts, I turned on my heel and ran to where the sound was from. Did it come from the North? I kept running, thinking about him, is he okay? I saw Hashirama laying on the ground, I felt my heart stop. He laid there, holding his weak body with his elbows, a streak of blood ran down his face. He had broken the handsigns, I looked up and saw the barrier slowly dissipating. "Hashirama, what happened?" I carried him by the shoulders and placed his head on my crossed legs, he was too heavy for me to carry somewhere else. I saw a blade pierced his stomach, he was dripping blood alarmingly. "No Hashirama, please, stay with us." I said with tears falling from my eyes. He had been such a good shinobi, Kage, person in general. He didn't deserve to die right here, like this. I saw him cough out more blood. His healing technique wasn't working due to his small amount of chakra. "Tsukiko, just...take care of Konoha..." He said with an almost inaudible voice, I nodded biting my lip, trying to retain the sobs.

I heard Tobirama tell the people gathered around to move. He stood behind me, looking at his dying brother. He crouched next to me and took his hand. "Tobirama, you have a very important task from now on..." He said with a chuckle, I saw Tobirama squeeze Hashirama's hand, letting some tears run down his pale cheeks. Hashirama looked at both of us and smiled, letting out his final breath. Tobirama took his brother's lifeless body and moved it to a safe place. "Tobirama, I think there must be someone who is an infiltrate. How would you explain his pierced stomach?" He examined the wound and fisted the ground. "Fuck." I looked at him and kissed his temple, "Tobi, we need to go back, the barrier is gone." I stood up and ran outside to meet with my team, Tobirama running behind me.

There was nobody by my team's side, I came to a stop and fell on my knees, panting. "Sensei, are you okay?" Said Kagami glancing at my devastated figure. "Hashirama...is dead." I said, holding back tears, they all widened their eyes, they hoped I was joking. "How? He kept the barrier up" said Danzo with a sad face, he crossed his arms and his brows furrowed, going back to his annoyed features. I shrugged, I didn't know what happened exactly but still, I told them what I saw and what I thought had happened, my voice cracking with every word I spat out. "Well, this goes to him then, Lord Hokage died for us and we will proudly defend the village." Kagami and Torifu said, getting in fight stances even though no one was coming. Danzo scoffed and turned his back on me, guarding the entrance.

"This was just a wave, sensei." Concluded Torifu after waiting for any attacks for hours. I contacted Akari-san who agreed with him, there was no one in sight. I sighed and plopped on the ground, the emotions had hit me all at once, I felt devastated, tired and relieved. "Let me go check the plan with the Hokage." They all nodded and I walked back into the sad memories.

"Tobirama, we haven't encountered enemy nin, Akari-san also said there is no one in sight, and trust me, she can definitely see better than any of us." I sat down on the floor, next to him. Had been planning non-stop, he was always a hard working guy. The Hokage building was now closed, until further notice. Tobirama didn't want to be in his brother's office unless he required it. "I have the same reports from the other entrances, all leaf shinobi should take a rest. Thank you, Tsukiko." He gave me a sad smile and pecked my forehead. I nuzzled my nose in the crook of his neck and sighed into it. "I don't want to lose you, Tobirama." A tear rolled down my cheek onto his neck. I felt him sob, his chest moved rapidly, he tried so hard to contain his emotions. I hugged him and patted his back, signaling him to let it out. I caressed his hair until he fell asleep in my arms.