Chapter 8

The maids did not speak. Even the steps of a mere bug could be heard in the silence of the room. I smile, as if the whole situation never happened. Even so the maids seems to know that whatever happened isn't over for them.

"Now, why is it that I must get dressed?"

"The- the master has arranged an evening soiree and wants- would like you to attend together with the rest of the family..." The maid's lips quivered as she spoke, she even hesitated to speak. The person before me dared not to look up and meet my eyes, instead she put her best efforts in to keeping her tears at bay.

I suppose that I might've scared these maids a little bit too much. "Then I suppose I should go and do that," I watched as the face of the maid who gripped my arm lit up.

"However..." I point at the maid who was smiling as if she'd just won a game. "You!" I conjure up a flame right in front of her face.

Freaking out she fell over and toppled onto some other maids. "AhH!"

"If you ever think of treating me this again, then I suppose you wouldn't mine being... folically challenged."

"Wha-!" She exclaimed, practically shaking in anger.

I point to the gap between her eyebrows and said no more than I needed to. "Eyebrows. I'll burn them off."

Clearly shaken she covered her brows and looked up with wide eyes to me. "Mmm, I suppose next would be your eyelashes. And the finally..." I trail off, curling a strand of my hair around my finger. "I guess it'll all be gone." I smile brightly.

They all seemed to be shaken up by my threats, trembling at the very thought off every inch of hair on them being burned off.

"Oh dear, look at the time! I suppose I should get ready for the soiree this evening."

"Y-yes miss!" All of them began to escort me out of the room. Again after the tiring process of bathing, changing, and doing my hair, I was finally deemed 'presentable' for the ball. I then get escorted downstairs where my brother awaits me.

"Mireille." He took one look at the maids and waved them off. They seemed even more afraid of Alfred than me. I really wonder how the little brat gets it. "Mireille, this party isn't really a party. It's more like a war. It's to announce my return to high society, and to scream to the world that you exist."

I nod, thinking about what Al said, "In other words, it's a chance to make as many allies as possible. To team up against Claude D'Argent. Not a formal debut into society, but a chance to announce or existence." I would have to guess that it would be normal that the birth of a noble would be announced almost immediately, however I would be a specially case, as I was born a commoner.

Plopping himself on the couch. He breathed in and sighed heavily. "They'll probably mock and look down on us..." he trails off, as if he didn't want to say the rest. Just then as if on cue, Claude D'Argent and the rest of his family walk in.

"Alfred, Mireille. Let's go." He says, heading towards the door once more.

I look to Al and he gestures for me to follow. We walk only a little before we stop at some rather grand doors. The servants open the doors and walk into a grand ballroom. Decorated beautifully, the hanging chandelier in the center of the room gave the pale white walls warmth.

All eyes were on us as we entered the room. Eyes on Alfred and me. Curious almost, the whispers floated among the guests.

"Could that be young Lord Alfred?!"

"Of course it is! Do you even have eyes?"

"But that young lady at the back,"