Chapter 37

With the ongoing emergency, the headmaster made the call and ordered for all the students to return to the inns. After confirming the presence of all the students, the headmaster prepared another large-scale teleportation spell which transferred all the students back to the academy.

As soon as we arrived, Cassandra and I hurried to put Elaine to bed. She had no external injuries and was suffering from lack of mana, so we quickly called the professor who was in-charge of healing and other support magic lessons. Luckily, Elaine's condition was mild and she wasn't in any danger.

"Mireille, you okay?"

I laughed off Cassandra's question and smiled. "Haha! I'm fine, I didn't use any mana anyway. I just used some magic stones!" But Cassandra insisted that I left to rest, so I did. I walked out of the dorm and back to my own. I felt gross from all that running, so I made my way up the stairwell. Step by step. Man, how I wished elevators were a thing. I think about half-way to my floor, I was hit with a sudden pang of dizziness.

My vision was dimmed until it was painted completely black.

The next time I awoke, I was in a soft, fluffy bed. It was much softer than the one in my dorm. I blinked a few times before I realized who towered above me. Certainly, it was one of the most unpleasant things one could be greeted with upon awakening. I painfully tried to form a smile on my face and murmured, "Uncle."

I wanted to sit up, but I couldn't muster any strength. Unfortunately, no one, but Claude D'Argent was in the room, so I stayed in my current position. I glanced around the room. The canopy bed, the positioning of the furniture, the cream coloured walls... I was back at the Argent Estate.

Why?

"The school had found you collapsed in the stairwell. You've pushed yourself too far."

There was another silent pause as I waited for Claude D'Argent to continue speaking.

"You'll be staying here for the next three months."

Just those words made me want to stand up and shout 'what the fuck?', but my current incapcipated state didn't allow for that. "Why is that?"

"Relax." He sighed, seeming like he wanted to laugh. "I know you like school, so I won't withdraw you from the academy. But have you forgotten? Your debutante will be in three months."

How tedious. It was merely a ball... but then again, it is the ball that triggers the beginning of the otome game. I contemplated the ball and the plot of the game for a minute. Why did I not think of this sooner? The reincarnated Marie Fylan was not an intelligent and sweet heroine like in the game. She merely got into the academy based on her high mana capacity and well-controlled support magic.

Oh, my god...

I could really just let Marie Fylan self-destruct at the ball couldn't I? Isn't this a tad too convenient though?

"Where's Alfred?" I ask.

Claude D'Argent quickly sends for him, but he stays in the room. When Alfred arrives he begins to talk about the debutante, rambling on and rambling. "–it's final that you will not be leaving the mansion, so don't try to sneak out Mireille."

He ends there, and I can only respond 'yes, Uncle'.

As soon as Claude D'Argent leaves, Alfred seals off the room with a sound barrier. He poked at me wondering if something had gone wrong with me. He asked me if I was in any pain, his voice concerned and worried. His brows furrowed deeply. At this rate he was going to have wrinkles at his young age.

"Don't worry; I'm just a little tired. It's nothing I can't handle."

"You know," his lips curled downwards and he raised one eybrow, "sometimes I think you really are going to die off one day."