Chapter 8

Sean's POV

I shouldn't have taken the risk if I'd just fail Clary in the end.

I have a relapsing-remitting type of MS. During a relapse, the symptoms get worse. During a remission, symptoms partly or completely disappear.

I was in remission for a long period of time--it means there are no new signs of disease activity. It's the reason why I was able to enroll for senior high and go back to school. But I know how serious my condition is. I keep that in mind. Still, it did not prevent me from pursuing whatever gives me fulfillment. I took advantage of my remission to be able to do the things I want to do.

My remission lasted for a year, not until the day of the painting contest came, and I was attacked by developing symptoms again. Just when I was enjoying the time of my life, everything went spiraling down again and I found myself back in relapse.

Good thing it was not that severe. I had a mild fatigue. I was just prescribed with medicines to help manage muscle weakness. I stayed in the hospital not for too long. My recovery from the attack just took me weeks.

A relapse is always followed by a remission. Currently, I am back in partial remission. My legs still feel stiff and painful but I can manage. I feel free again. I can go to school again, but with utmost care. And there is one person in my mind whom I really need to talk to.

Kailangan kong makita si Clary para makahingi ng tawad. Hindi niya alam kung bakit bigla na lang akong nawala. Kahit hindi ko ginusto ang nangyari sa akin, nabigo ko pa rin siya noong araw na iyon.

Una pa lang, nararamdaman ko na sa sarili kong may hindi magandang mangyayari, pero tumuloy pa rin ako. That was my mistake. I failed her because of that. She was very eager to win, yet she failed because of me.

At first, I was hesitant to work with her, but when I got to know her more... I want to find out what kind of artist she is and what story lies beneath that creative hand of hers.

That's why I was glad when she finally decided to join and agreed to be my partner.

Pero alam kong sobrang dismayado siya. Nabigo siyang maiuwi ang award sa mama niya. She just wanted to make her parents proud. She just wanted to prove herself. And I think I ruined that little amount of hope she had for herself.

I felt so guilty.

"Sean!" rinig kong tawag ni Iggy mula sa likuran. Umakbay siya at sinundan ako sa paglalakad. "Ano, dadaan ka sa room nila Clary?"

Pumanhik kami sa hallway. Tapos na ang klase namin at nagsisiuwian na ang iba. Sana lang ay hindi pa umuuwi si Clary para maabutan ko siya.

"Oy, sama kami!" it was Pat's voice.

"Huwag na, hintayin niyo na lang ako sa gate. Ako na lang," sagot ko naman.

"Sure ka? Baka mamaya, matumba ka na lang bigla doon ah!" Patricia literally cared for me like a mother.

"Kaya ko na ang sarili ko. Sige na, mauna na kayo."

I went to the HUMSS building and peeped inside their classroom. Nagsisilabasan na ang iba niyang mga kaklase pero hindi ko siya mahanap. Nasaan kaya 'yon?

Gumaan ang loob ko nang makita si Guia palabas ng room. Buti naman at may mapagtatanungan na ako. "Guia," I called.

Agad niya akong nilingon at nanlaki ang mga mata niya sa presensya ko. Mukhang hindi niya inaasahang makikita na niya ako sa school pagkatapos ng nangyari. "Uy, Sean! Kumusta? Magaling ka na ba? Buti nakapasok ka na!"