4

Leah trembled as she walked into the room. Five of the girls were there including Bea. Tommy stood outside by the door, his back to the wall to let them have their privacy.

Bea stood when she saw the conflicted look on her face. "What's going on?" She demanded.

Leah was still in tears. She was perched on the precipice of her life. She could stay there as a prostitute with a questionable future or see if she could find what Jonah hoped for her.

"I'm leaving." Her voice was thick as she stooped down to retrieve her coat and bag.

Bea's eyes flicked to the door. Tommy's shoulder was visible, the hallway hazy from his cigarette. A flash of anger crossed her features and she stormed out to confront the man. "Who the hell do you think you are?" The woman snapped and jabbed at his chest with two fingers.

Tommy could tell she was protective over Leah. And he recalled sleeping with her months earlier, but was probably drunk and remembered very little. "She's free to make her own choices." He replied calmly. He was accustomed to being on the receiving end of anger and hysteria.

Bea's eyes narrowed. "You fuckin' Shelbys are demons." She spat.

Leah rushed out to diffuse yet another argument. She tugged at her friend's arm. "He isn't making me do anything, I've made up my own mind."

But Bea wasn't having it. "You're just movin' onto the next, huh?" She shoved him. The man sighed and took the abuse. "Your wife was murdered 'cause of you and now you want another victim to have on your arm? You just don't fuckin' care, do you? As long as they're pretty, eh? Fuckin' monster, you and your kin."

"Stop, please!" Leah begged. She didn't want Bea suddenly having to deal with the Peaky Blinders. "Jonah didn't want me doing this." She tried to draw her attention away from Tommy. "He wanted something better for me."

She turned to her, green eyes filled with anxiety. "You don't think I better for you and all the other girls?" Muffled sounds of sex could be heard down the hallway from them. "I want to see you thrive, Leah. But that man right there will get you killed." Anger slipped back into her voice. "And as soon as you're dead and buried, he'll move onto the next."

Leah looked at Tommy. His face was hard to read and he didn't interject to defend himself. But he wasn't a monster, she couldn't see that in him. He was simply damaged like her. "It'll be okay." She smiled weakly and touched her friend's shoulder. "I'll ring you tomorrow."

"Lee..."

She gave her friend a hug and drew away. Tommy offered an arm to her and Leah turned away from the other girls. There was a sense of guilt knowing she was leaving them behind in the same situation she was escaping from. But she couldn't take them with her as much as she wanted to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The car was waiting in front of the hotel still, but the rain had let up. Damp darkness hung over the city. Tommy opened the door for her and held a hand out as she stepped inside. The Bentley's luxurious interior only reminded Leah of whom she was really dealing with.

Tommy slid into the backseat beside her and told the driver the destination. They were both quiet as the car traveled down the lamp-lined roads of London. Eventually, they arrived in a nicer area of London. The streets were quieter and the houses appeared well maintained.

"Where are we?" Leah asked quietly, not familiar with the location.

"My sister Ada's," Tommy answered. "You can stay here for the night. I'll back 'round tomorrow to talk. I want to give you the night to think about whatever you need sorted." He got out of the car, helping Leah down. "Whatever I can do to help get you settled again." He knew they had both been unsettled for a very long time. Tommy was aware that he only moved further from comfort every day. He set himself up for a chaotic life. But if he could help Leah along, it might give him a reason to get some sleep.