54

Tommy was practically hysterical. He couldn't stand still even as Leah tried to get him to sit down on the bed and take a breath.

"Someone's gonna take him. They'll take him like they took him before. Like they took you. They'll take the girls too." His speech was unlike Leah had ever heard before. Far from the even-toned man with a deep voice. She had seen him break down but never before did he show his vulnerability through his voice. It was like his last line of defenses were crumbling down.

"Tommy, please, you're scaring me." She grabbed him by the arms and tried to steady him.

"What do I have to do to protect my family?" His voice rose in volume.

"The kids are just down the hall, please just try to stay calm." She pulled him toward the bed but he resisted her.

"It shouldn't be this fucking difficult!" He shouted.

Tears began to spill from Leah's eyes. Perhaps they were too naïve to think things would remain so calm. She wished she had managed to keep Tommy happy. Happy enough that he wouldn't have had to go after Mosley. But she paused halfway through the thought.

"I told you..." She whispered tearfully. "I told you things could be okay if you just stayed home. You didn't have to go into Parliament. You didn't have to do everything you did. The kids and I were enough for you, Tommy, why couldn't you realize that?" She whimpered.

He stilled long enough to look at her. "Leah..."

"Maybe the reason someone betrayed you was because you keep pushing everyone away." She continued.

"You're fucking blaming this on me?" He demanded.

"I'm blaming this on the man who came back from the War and decided he was going to rule Birmingham. I'm blaming the man who decided Birmingham wasn't enough. I'm blaming the man who wanted to rule London, then Parliament, and now the whole fucking country it seems! I'm blaming the man who won't step away from a fight because his pride is too big. Too big he can't even see the people who would take a bullet for him."

"Well, that's who I am," Tommy replied after a long pause.

"No, it's who you want people to think you are. But you're so much more, Tommy. You've always been so much more."

He didn't respond to her. Instead, he rubbed his eyes wearily and held back tears.

"You need someone to talk to. Someone other than me."

"Not going to a fucking doctor." He muttered back to her.

"No, no, that's not what I'm saying." Leah would've liked to get Tommy some professional help, but she was afraid what the consequences might be if she did. "I'd like to go back to Margate with the children."

Tommy lifted his head with a frown. "I ain't talking to Alfie."

"Well, I don't think he'll give you much of an option." She smiled faintly and kissed his forehead. "Please." She whispered against his skin. "Please just give me this."

Closing his eyes, Tommy lifted a hand to the nape of her neck and held her close. "Okay."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mr. Alfie!" Johanna shrieked happily as she burst out of the car to meet the man at the door.

"Hello Joey, lookit you, grown much bigger, haven't ya?" Alfie chuckled and scooped her up. "Oof, can barely carry you anymore!" He exclaimed.