39

//Thank you so much to everyone who's read, voted, or commented. Honestly can't tell you how much it makes my day to see people's reactions to what I've written. I try to put a lot of thought into my work so getting feedback is always so satisfying. Hope you all enjoy!

            "So, you're just going to disappear the rest of the day and pretend like nothing happened?"

Tommy startled. He was almost certain that his wife had been sound asleep as he got ready. It was only four-thirty in the morning and the last time Leah had woken up so early was when Johanna was still nursing.

Leah sat up and crossed her arms over her chest. It was a miracle she had actually allowed Tommy to sleep in the same bed as her. But after an ambulance arrived for Aberama, they didn't have much time to argue. Johanna insisted on enjoying her cake and opening the remainder of her presents. From there, the parents divided and conquered. Leah gave Johanna a bath while Tommy read to Charlie. They swapped, Tommy, going to kiss his daughter goodnight while Leah made sure Charlie had brushed his teeth and was washed up. They met up in their bedroom but neither said a word as they got ready for bed. Leah turned off the light before Tommy had a chance to apologize. Of course, maybe he could've apologized sooner.

"I have to do something important with Pol before I leave for London with Arthur and Michael." He rattled off his agenda so she wouldn't be suspicious.

However, the lack of details made her plenty suspicious. "What are you doing with Polly this early?"

"Visiting an orphanage that the company funds."

Leah chewed on her lip. There were so many things she wanted to say. But would it just drive the wedge further between them? Should she wait until they could properly sit down and talk? That seemed to work in the past, even though they were right back at square one. "It's Polly's birthday."

"I know, I'll give her your well wishes." He said, finishing up getting dressed.

"I was going to visit her. Frances said she'd watch the children."

He shook his head. "I have a job for her this afternoon. You two can see each other another day."

Leah was less than pleased with his response. But she tried to let it roll over her like the ocean's tide. "What are you doing in London with Michael and Arthur?"

"We have a meeting with another member of Parliament."

"Is it Oswald Mosley?"

Hearing her speak the man's name gave Tommy quite a shock. He turned around. "Where did you hear that name?" He demanded. Fear spiked him right in the chest. Had Mosley approached Leah without his knowledge?

"Ada," Leah replied. "She said he was an evil man and you're doing business with him." Her tone was accusatory.

Relieved that Leah hadn't been in contact with Mosley, Tommy let his guard down slightly. "He is. But you don't have to worry."

She scoffed and threw her hands up. "Worry? Tommy, why on Earth do you go picking fights with people? For once, we have something nice going. We have a family, you got elected. Now you've decided to stir up trouble again?"

"There are matters that you don't-"

She held up a finger at him with a deadly glare. "Thomas Shelby, don't you dare tell me there are things I don't understand. I understand that you're never satisfied with what you have. I understand that you'll fight anyone who comes walking by. I understand more about you than you understand about yourself." She spat and threw back the sheets. "What I'd like to know is when you'll tire of me? Because I'd like to know beforehand. These children, your children, deserve better." She passed by him in a huff and went to Johanna's room.