37

"What does it mean?"

The sun had begun to set by the time they reached a suitable spot for a fire. Tommy let his horse out to graze and began the fire. Leah was quiet for a bit before she thought it was a good enough time to start asking questions.

"What does what mean?" Tommy heaved a sigh as he sat down beside his wife. He slipped off his coat to place around her shoulders as the night temperature began to set in.

"Michael held on. So, he didn't sell the stocks and the market crashed. What does that mean for us?"

"It means that he lost me a lot of fucking money," Tommy muttered and pocketed his lighter once he got a good enough flame going. "And he's going to have to answer to me once he comes back."

Leah's forehead creased. "Tom, what does it mean for our family?" She reiterated.

He rubbed his eyes and shook his head. "I don't know exactly yet. We've still got some money, just not the kind of money we were depending on before."

"So..."

"So, it puts me in a tough position." He wrapped an arm around her to pull her closer.

Leah touched her forehead to his cheek. "I trust that you'll see us through whatever we have to face." She murmured softly. "But I can't have you shut me out again."

"You always liked to take things on yourself, didn't you?" Grace appeared across the fire from them. She smiled serenely. "But you still like to talk to your dead wife, aye, Tommy?"

He swallowed and kissed Leah's hair. "I'll try, love." He whispered. "And if I do, I'll need you there to remind me."

She lifted her head to look at him with softness. "I can do that."

"You were never satisfied. Never." Grace continued.

He tried to block out her voice but knew it was him who conjured her. He'd taken the drugs for a reason. He wanted to hear her.

Leah noticed her husband's eyes kept flicking over to the dark expanse of the forest beyond the fire. "What is it?" She touched his cheek.

"Gonna check on the horse." He muttered and stood up. "Stay here and keep warm."

"Alright," Leah replied but felt a little letdown but trying her best not to show it.

Tommy wandered through the darkness with a dim lantern. Zeus was grazing nearby and he lifted his head, ears tipped forward curiously.

"Just me, boy," Tommy said quietly and held out a comforting hand. The horse snorted contently and went back to eating.

"Why have you taken her here?" Grace appeared behind him. "Don't you like being alone?" She walked towards him and touched his shoulder.

The phantom touch made Tommy shudder. "I can't abandon her, not anymore."

"Then why do you still use that bottle of dope to see me?" His late wife wondered.

"S'for the pain."

"You need the warmth." Grace embraced him, although the touch was hollow and his senses were so addled that he couldn't distinguish whether it was real or not.

~~~~~~~~

After a bit, Tommy stumbled back to the fire. Leah was curled up in his coat and half asleep.