18

"She'll throw me, Tommy, I know she will."

"She's harmless, wouldn't put you on a horse that would throw you," Tommy assured her and walked the gentle mare over.

They were back at Arrow House after the trip to Wales. Tommy's spirits had lifted considerably after Leah agreed to marry him. It made him much more confident that he would be able to restore his family to the way it used to be.

"I'm sure she's sweet but..." Leah sighed and chewed on her lip. "Promise you won't let me fall?"

Tommy stopped in front of her, reins in hand. It was a beautiful day in the countryside and he offered to teach Leah how to ride. The groom had tacked up the ten-year-old mare that had been retired off the track for years. A beautiful roan that hardly ever spooked at anything. "I'll be right beside you." He nodded.

She took a deep breath. She'd gotten more accustomed to the horses on the grounds. Charlie went to visit them every single day. Although the little boy was a little braver than she was when it came to the large beasts. It took some convincing to even consider getting up on a horse.

"I'll give you a boost." Tommy offered and held out a hand.

Leah walked over and carefully stroked the mare's shoulder. "Hello, Molly." She said softly. "Go easy on me."

"I'll push you up by your knee," Tommy explained. "Go on three."

Leah took hold of the saddle and rested her knee in Tommy's hand. On the count of three, he helped boost her up into the saddle, grabbing her leg to make sure she didn't over jump and slip off the other side.

"Oh boy..." Leah laughed nervously. "A lot higher up than I thought."

"You're alright, I won't let go." He assured her and helped adjust the stirrups' length. "Better being out here than inside, aye?" He checked the girth and handed her the reins.

"It is a nice day." She agreed and nervously took hold of the reins.

"Thumb on top, that's it." Tommy caught sight of the engagement ring on her hand. It gave him a feeling of pride and joy that he cherished during those tough weeks after his family's arrest. "Alright," He clicked his tongue. "Walk on, Molly."

Leah's fingers tightened around the reins when the mare began to plod on at a slow walk. Tommy kept an easy stride with them.

"See you'll be galloping 'round before you know it." Tommy smiled up at her.

"Oh, I don't know about that." She laughed nervously. "Better take it slow."

It was stunning to see the differences that made them so compatible. Tommy couldn't remember the first time he'd ever ridden a horse. Most likely his family of Travelers chucked him up on one the second he could walk. But he was reckless as young as he could remember. He'd suffered a few brutal falls for being so sure of himself and always wanting to go faster.

He always wanted more out of life and Leah was content to take her time and be patient. For so long she wasn't given the privilege of being able to take her time. Life seemed to be a never-ending cycle of sleeping during the morning and entertaining strangers at night. Not once could she ask for time off or to be given a break. Now, Tommy gave her the opportunity to truly find her identity again.

Despite their differences, Leah did her best to keep Tommy's anxiety and stress under control to a certain extent. Of course, there wasn't much she could do when he was away for work but when he returned back to Arrow House, she offered him a haven. A place to escape everything.