Chapter 4

It was about a half hour drive and we arrived at a big white house, we pulled up at the front of the house, I grabbed my rucksack and Katie got my satchel whilst Colin went ahead and unlocked the door. Katie put her arm around me and squeezed me. I must admit I was very nervous, mainly because what's going to happen if they don't like me or worse, they find out my secret?

"Are you ready to meet the family?" she asked. I nodded and took in a deep breath, as we walked inside we were greeted by two men both older than Katie. "Hi you must be Clemmie," one of the guys said pulling me in for a hug, I didn't know what to do, I mean I've never been really hugged or loved in that matter of fact, I just stood there.

"Rory don't squeeze her to death," Katie said setting my satchel down on a chair in the entrance hall.

"Sorry," Rory said still hugging me, but he did loosen his grip slightly. "I'm Rory, Katie's brother, but you can call me Uncle Rory if you want."

"Nice to meet you, Rory," I said, I know I sound rude but I don't put labels on things unless they're gonna stick for definite.  Rory let me out of the hug and I could tell he was dissapointed at my response, as we entered the living room are met Bernard and Bernie, Colin's parents and Paul and Mary, Katie's parents and Katie's other older brother Shaun. I started to feel uncomfortable when they started asking questions about the foster homes I've been at, it was obviously clear to Katie.

"How about I show you to your room," Katie said to me, I nodded and took my bags upstairs to my room.  The room was grey with a white bed, it was really pretty.

"Thanks," I said glumly and dumped my bags down and slumped on the bed.

"Is everything alright Clemmie?" Katie asked as she came to sit down next to me. I immediately burst into tears, "Oh sweetie come here," Katie said as I sat I and leant into her. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Colin in the doorway "What's the matter sweetie?" she asked.

"I ...miss ...them," I said sobbing after every word.

"Miss, who baby?" She asked

"Mum and dad," I said. Katie looked at Colin, we just sat there for about half an hour until I had calmed down. Once I had calmed down, they left me to get cleaned up and get ready for dinner. I changed into a starry grey jumper and black legging with my sketchers, I put my hair in two braids and headed downstairs to try and find Katie and Colin. I found Rory sitting on the couch with Bernard, Paul and Shaun.

"Hey guys," I said walking into the living room, smiling trying to make it seem like nothing had happened upstairs.

"Hey Clemmie," Rory said leaning over the back of the couch.

"Do you know where Colin and Katie are?" I asked Shaun, Bernard and Paul all looked at each other.

"They're in the kitchen making dinner," Rory said after a while, I smiled and walked towards the kitchen when I heard crying, Katie's crying. I went a little closer to see through the gap. I saw her sitting at the table with Colin next to her and Grandma Bernie and Grandma Mary also with them.

"She just needs time," I heard one of them say

"She's been through a lot, remember, she is going to be difficult." I heard Colin say, and at that moment Katie lifted her head and saw me.

I ran as fast as I could with Katie close behind me calling for me. I didn't stop. I got to my room and threw my bags out my window, I hadn't unpacked, and I jumped my window I was only on the first floor. I hit the gravel and ran. I climbed over the fence and ran as fast as I could.  As I got a street away, I could hear car doors slamming and tyres screeching. I also heard people running calling my name. I found a shortcut down an ally way. I eventually found my way to a park. I slowed down and decided to climb a tree, hoping that they wouldn't see me.

"Clemmie" I heard a voice below me say, It was Katie. Great. I jumped down and tried to start running but a man grabbed me, it was Shaun. I tried to get free from his grasp, kicking and screaming, tears streaming down my face...