Chapter 19

Clemmie's POV

All four of us were heading out for lunch at a restaurant, in about an hour. I got changed into some casual clothes; a grey top, a leather jacket, black jeans black boots and a dark red beanie. I didn't feel like dressing up, especially today. I looked at myself in the mirror. No breaking down today, I told myself. 

I headed downstairs to meet Mum, Dad and Blue. I was still trying to get the picture of Luke out of my head as I came to the bottom step, "Hey, you okay?" Blue asked knocking me out of my thoughts. I tried my best to cover my pain, hurt, upset and anger (thank god I'm an actor).

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," I answered.

"Okay," Dad said picking up the car keys with Katie behind him, "Who's ready to go and have lunch?" We all piled into one of the cars and headed to the restaurant. 

As we pulled up to the restaurant Mum went ahead to check if our table was ready. As we walked around a corner all of a sudden I heard a group of people scream, "SURPRISE!" The entire cast was here. I could not believe Katie would do this. I was on the brink of tears, I looked a Blue, I could tell she had no idea either.

"I told you not to!" I yelled, before running out. Colin grabbed my wrist, "Don't!" I warned, snatching my wrist back and running out of the restaurant.

Katie's POV

As we arrived at the restaurant I went in before the others. I went to see if the cast had arrived for her surprise. She had seemed so down ever since we had arrived in London, and I know how much the cast misses her and how they make her smile and laugh. As she came through we all hid behind the corner. When she was about to come around we all leapt out and yelled "SURPRISE!" she didn't scream but she was shocked. But soon that expression turned into a glimpse of sadness then anger.

"I told you not to!" she yelled back. I could tell she was holding back a tsunami of tears behind all that anger. She turned to run, but Colin stopped her, "Don't!" she warned turning back to the door as she ran out. Blue immediately ran after her, quickly followed by me and Chyler.

Clemmie's POV

As soon as I got out of the restaurant I ran to the only place I could think about today. I arrived at the cemetery just a few minutes after running out of the restaurant, luckily it was only a few streets away and I was a fast runner. I got to my brother's grave and collapsed in front of it crying, tears streaming down my face. I felt someone envelop me in a hug, I knew it was Blue. I grabbed onto her arms for safety, I felt like the world was going to swallow me whole.  "Hey, hey, hey. It's not your fault, okay?" she assured.

"I-it i-is," I sobbed, "H-he's d-dead because o-of me," I admitted.

"No, no, that wasn't you," Blue told me. I saw two blurry figures standing in the distance. I got up and stormed over to them.

"You!" I shouted at Katie, "I told you I didn't want a birthday! I told you! And you ignored me!" I sobbed, repeatedly pushing her, she didn't react on any of them, "I asked you not to do anything!" I cried I was once again embraced but this time the arms were stronger than Blue and Katie's they felt more secure and protecting. It was Chyler.

Katie's POV

 As Chyler and I ran out of the restaurant we saw Clemmie and Blue in the distance. We ran after them, which was hard seeing how fast they were. We saw them both run into the cemetery. I gave Chyler a questioning look. As we entered the cemetery I saw Clemmie running through the graves before collapsing in front of one of them. I saw Blue go and comfort her, Chyler and I walked a little closer. As we came to the grave Clemmie got up and started shouting and pushing me. I didn't fight back as I knew she needed to get her anger and frustration out. Chyler quickly embraced her to get her to calm down. I walked over to the headstone and realised why she never celebrated or wanted to celebrate, her birthday.

Clemmie's POV

I was sitting on a bench under an oak tree staring off into nothingness, hoping that either they would just leave me here, understand the situation or in the worse case my life would just end so I didn't have to feel so numb the entire time. After a while Colin had come to join us and was talking to Chyler, Katie and Blue for a while. Soon Colin and Katie came over to me and Chyler took Blue away. They sat down either side of me, we sat there in silence before I couldn't take it much longer, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you," I said.

"Is this why you didn't want to talk about why you ran away?" Colin asked. I slowly nodded in reply.

"Clem you need to stop hiding stuff like this from us. Each time you do this we're rusting you less and less," Katie explained. I understood where she was coming from it was just painful to talk about. Even my social worker doesn't know the entire story about that day.

"Why don't you just read my file? It has the majority of the stuff about me in there. It has everything that has happened to me while in the system," I asked.

"Clem," Colin began, "We want you to trust us enough so you feel safe telling us stuff like this. Because that's what family is for,"

"I do trust you, it's just... I've always found it hard opening up to people. That's just me. I understand if you want to send me back..." I admitted.

"What?!" Katie questioned, "Why would you say that?"

"It's what most of my foster families do, they take you in and once you start acting up they send you back," I explained.

"Clemmie, we adopted you! We're never sending you back, we love you, troubled parts and all. That's what makes you human,"

"How about we go home and order a take out?" Colin asked. I nodded. As we got up I embraced Katie in a hug. I held onto her as tight as I could, not wanting her to leave me.