Chapter Thirteen// Fading

Chapter Thirteen: Fading

I was like the tsubaki flower
I was boring and without
A fragrance

Violet's POV

I'd gone to sleep wondering if my brother had gotten the voicemail from me and how progress was going on rebuilding the machine.

When I woke up I started scrolling through the news articles of this world when I noticed something.

Girl gone missing after a strange light appeared in town.

"Strange light? Would that be the... Portal?" I wondered before getting ready for the day.

I put on a navy blue t-shirt and some light gray skinny jeans and threw on a black jacket before slipping on my tennis shoes and heading outside.

I heard people laughing and saw kids running around, but when I looked up I noticed that there were people flying around as though in battle.

"Huh.. I wonder what's going on.." I murmured and walked around for a bit to ask people what was happening.

I stayed out for a few hours before going home and laying down as my head started to pound.

I fell asleep at one point and when I awoke something didn't feel right.

I lifted my hand to stifle a yawn and shrieked.

My hand was fading in and out before solidifying again.

"What's happening..?" I asked myself, panicking.

I came to the conclusion that this was happening due to how long I've been in this world.

I tried calling my brother, who actually answered this time.

"Sup."

"We have an... issue.." I said.

"What is it?"

"I'm kind of fading? Yeah. So hurry up and rebuild the machine so I don't become a ghost or whatever."

"But you haven't even been there that long."

"Well, this isn't my world! It's pretty clear that- oh, my phone just went through my hand, just a sec. Anyway, it's pretty clear that since this isn't my world I wouldn't be able to last long here. That's actually been on my mind since I arrived. I'm guessing that I have a few weeks to a month left here, maybe more if I'm lucky. Time here seems to be the same as it it there, so I'll keep you updated."

"Okay. And sis?"

"Yeah?"

"Where did you put the blueprints? I've actually been looking for them this whole time.."

I mentally facepalmed.

"The blueprints are in the basement on the shelf in the back. You know, the one with all the boxes full of spare pieces from other projects."

"I'm an idiot."

"I'd be lying if I said you weren't. You're smart sometimes though." I snickered.

"Shut up. Do you want home or do you want to just face away there?"

"I mean... The fading isn't painful and the people here don't pick on me like you do..."

"So you're staying?"

"Did I say I was staying?"

"Well, no. But-"

"Just hurry up and get me home, Xeriez! I don't wanna be a ghost!"

"Fine. Geez. No need to tell at me, you bully."

"Good luck rebuilding the machine, but bro! Please hurry but also don't rush because I don't wanna die here, y'know?"

"Yeah. Now I've gotta go, call me if anything else happens."

"I will. Talk to you later!"

"Later."

I ended the call and stared off into the distance.

Will Xeriez be able to get me home or will I fade away until I fade out of existence completely?

A/N: Sorry this chapter was so short! I've been buried by the stress of tests and a crap ton of homework for biology and world geography.

I'll try to publish a longer chapter next week, or at least two side stories.

(It's official, at least one update per week even if it's just a side story)

If you have any complaints leave them in the comments here, and other than that...

Have a lovely day/night wherever you are!