Legacy

Evelyn is now about 3 months old, but ever since her birth, Bubba's health has been rapidly declining. He stays in the Infirmary now and has a few things hooked up to him. He's not allowed to get up on his own and he can't eat or drink much. Even though I'm his husband, I'm not allowed to stay with him, so I still have to sleep in our bedroom - but I visit him every day. And every day I can see him getting worse. Every day I watch as my darling, my husband, my whole world, is dying right in front of me; and I can do nothing about it.

Last night before I left to go to bed, Bubba mentioned that he had something to tell me tomorrow but that Eve (Evelyn) couldn't be there. So today I'm having Pep look after her.

I made my way down to the Infirmary and into Bub's room, closing the door behind me. He's already sitting up, with the help of the bed and a few pillows, and he looks so... dead. I sat on the chair beside him and held his hand, trying my best to smile.

"What did you want to tell me?" I asked.
He smiled a bit and breathed out a little laugh. "Why can't we just talk normally for now?"
I'm so curious about what he wants to tell me - but if he just wants to talk for now, that's fine too. Who knows how long we have left.

So that day, as he requested, we talked and talked and joked and kissed all day and had a wonderful time. I checked the time - it's somehow already 8pm and visiting hours stop at 8:30. I looked at him and gasped. "I almost forgot! What was that thing you wanted to tell me?" I smiled my best smile, hoping he would tell me and that it would be good news and nothing more, nothing less.

"Oh right, I almost forgot." His already small smile quickly faded and he looked down while holding my hand.
This can't be good.

The room stayed silent for a good minute or two before he said anything. I let him have his minute or two in silence - I didn't want to pry. He finally looked at me with his glossed over eyes, he looked at every little feature of my face, memorizing it. He gulped and with a shaky voice said, "Marshall, I'm dying. There's nothing we can do to stop it. The doctors say I'll be gone by next week..."

No... Not now, not now, NOT NOW!!! "W-what do you mean?! You can't die! What about Eve? What about your kingdom? You can't go so soon!" I hugged him as tight as I could without breaking him. "We haven't experienced life together yet! I-I need you here..." I started crying into his hospital gown, soaking his shoulder with tears. He just rubbed my back and kissed me wherever was closest. I cried and cried and cried for a few minutes, never loosening my grip on him. After a while I slowly stopped crying and pulled away to look at him. He looked so broken, but still smiled through it all. "Marshi, I need you to do something for me." I nodded and my ears perked up. Whatever it is, I'll do it for him. For him...

For the rest of the time I was allowed there, he told me what he needed done. I thought he was crazy, but he needs me to do this. It's the only way to keep his kingdom intact. 

The next morning, instead of visiting Bubba like I normally would, I got dressed, got Eve up, had breakfast with her, then called all Candy citizens around the front of the castle for a speech. I've never done any royal or important speeches for the kingdom - Bubba always does this. I went onto the balcony with Eve in my arms and announced to the kingdom, "Candy Kingdom citizens, I have some... very sad news for you all." I quickly scanned the crowd and noticed they were whispering to each other about why I'm talking instead of Bubs and whose kid I'm holding.

"Prince Gumball has fallen ill and he doesn't have much time left-" I couldn't even finish my sentence before everyone burst into loud chatter. I could hear a few people shouting at me that it's somehow my fault he's dying. Soon everyone caught on to that one statement and they all shouted at me various threats. "You killed our Prince!" "You're a monster!" "You should die, not him!" They started coming closer to the front door, trying to get in and kill me.