18

Gerard

My eyes slowly opened, taking in the shock of the beam of light pouring in through the window. My brain was only half awake and being sick didn't help. I struggled to sit up, but eventually managed to. My limbs feel heavy as I made my way down the hall. I found the house empty, then came to the realization that it was a weekday. That meant everyone was at school or work. How could I have slept that long? I dug around in the cupboards and found some coffee mix. I started the coffee maker and started searching for a mug. I found an Iron Maiden mug and examined it, finding it relatively clean. After the coffee finished brewing, I poured it into the mug and sat on the couch. I took a sip and pulled my phone out of my pocket. I scrolled through a couple of websites before my notification bell sounded. It had come from Frank.

"Hey! I don't know if you're awake yet, but you'll see it at some point. I hope you're feeling better too. School is just sooo boring without you." I smiled at the message before replying.

"Oh, I'm awake baby." I could practically hear Frank's laugh as he responded.

"Oh. Well, school got out early so we're on our way home."

"Sounds good. I'll be waiting." I put my phone down on the small coffee table and took another drink of my coffee. After draining my mug, I set it on the table next to my phone and curled up on the couch. I could take a quick nap before Frank and Mikey got home. I woke up to the clanging of metal against metal. I thought it was the door closing but then I realized it was coming from the kitchen. I sat up and looked over the back of the worn couch.

"It's not dinner time already, is it?"

"Oh! I wasn't expecting you to wake up so soon." I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and pulled the blanket up around me.

"What're we having?"

"You're having soup. That's all you need to worry about." I sat up, my head beginning to protest with pain. I rubbed at my temple as Frank's dad came in. Frank moved out from behind him and ran over to me. He plopped down on the floor and smiled at me.

"Morning, Sunshine."

"Sunshine? Where's that coming from?"

"Just thought it would make you feel better." I smiled before coughing weakly. I rubbed my nose with the sleeve of my shirt before sinking back into the couch. Mrs.Iero came over and handed me a cup full of soup. She commanded that I eat all of it, then after that I would have to take more medicine then go back to bed. Frank sat as close to me on the couch as his dad would let him and kept telling me jokes all while I was trying to eat. After I finished dinner, Frank let me go back to his room and said he was going to bring me the medicine. I curled up on the bed and waited for Frank, sitting up when I heard someone come down the hall. It was Mikey. I smiled at him and waved slightly.

"How're you doing?"

"I'm good, you?" Mikey just nodded and walked further into the room.

"It's, uh, a full moon tonight..." I groaned.

"Already? It can't be."

"Yeah, I know. I don't know what we're gonna do with you. The sun sets in a few minutes."

"Just let me sleep on the bed. I'm sure it'll be fine."

"What if you get outside again?"

"I won't. Besides, I'll be doped up on whatever medicine you gave me yesterday that made me sleep, like, all through the night." Mikey nodded and left just as Frank came in. He was holding a cup full of water and one of those little medicine shot cup things. He handed them to me and I took the medicine, cringing at the taste. I gulped down the water and curled up under the sheets.

"It's a full moon, Frank."

"I know, Mikey told me." Frank slid into the bed next to me.

"But..."

"You're sick?"

"Yeah, and I'm a werewolf. Do you know how dangerous this is?"

"It'll be fine. You would never hurt me anyway."

"I don't know Frank..." I drifted off as the medicine took affect. I curled up around Frank as the moon rose. I didn't even realize that I had changed into a wolf until I felt Frank pet the top of my head. I whined slightly before drifting off for good.