25

Frank

I sat on the couch, Gerard curled up in my lap. He was wrapped around a bowl of popcorn and was watching the movie we had picked out intently. I rubbed his hand, tracing each bone and knuckle carefully. He pointed out an Easter egg and smiled up at me. I smiled back and leaned down, kissing him. His pupils had narrowed into slits and his canine teeth had become slightly sharper, which only managed to make him look cuter. He reached up and ran his fingers through my hair. I could see it in his eyes he was about to fall asleep. He yawned before cuddling further into my chest.

"Puppy need a nap?" Gerard giggled as he struggled to keep his eyes open. I watched his eyelids slide closed and waited for his breaths to fall into a pattern of sleep. After Gerard was asleep, I shifted and got comfortable. My dad stumbled through the living room and waved at me, saying goodnight. I waved back to the best of my ability and breathed in Gerard's shampooed hair. His face scrunched up in what I recognized as him having a nightmare. He never told me about them, but they always seemed pretty bad. So bad I wished he would talk to me about them. I rubbed his back and his features relaxed. He hugged me tighter and mumbled something. I just barely made out the word 'No' before Gerard's nightmare seemed to fade. He shoved his face further into my neck as I faded from consciousness. I woke up the next day, still buried under Gerard. I moved my head so I could get a better look at the room. Sunlight leaked through the window and pooled in a golden puddle on the floor. Gerard shifted and sat up. He rubbed his eyes as he untangled himself from my arms. I ruined the moment by giggling slightly. Gerard only smiled down at me before getting up. I followed after him as he entered the kitchen. We both entered to my mom sitting at the table, flipping through a newspaper. Gerard cracked open the fridge and pulled out a bottle of iced coffee. He walked back over to me and kissed me on the cheek before disappearing down the hall. I sat down next to my mom and watched Mikey enter the bathroom. Gerard walked back out and sat down next to me. He took a drink from his coffee as my mom turned to a new page. Mikey walked out and plopped down onto the couch. No one said anything. Gerard smiled at me again and reached over, holding my hand. Except his fingers were ice cold. I began to shake, though Gerard remained perfectly still. I was shaken awake and started up at the ceiling.

"Frank? Oh, thank God, Frankie!" Gerard tackled me in a hug. He was shaking wildly and he took a deep breath.

"W-what happened?"

"I don't know, but I couldn't wake you up. You were out cold. What happened? Were you dreaming or something?"

"Yeah, something like that. It was freaky."

"Like how?"

"I don't know. It was more like a nightmare."

"How so? You can tell me anything, Frankie."

"I don't know. It was just weird. Like, everyone in the house had become, like, cheap imitations of themselves. You were really creepy and there was no sound or anything and it was really scary and-"

"Hey, its okay. It was just a dream. Dreams can't hurt you."

"They seem able to hurt you." Gerard went silent and stared down at his lap.

"This isn't about me right now. It's about you. The dreams can't hurt you. Just remember that."

"Gerard, whatever you see in your nightmares has to really freak you out. You scream and you cry and they make it hard for you to sleep. Why won't you talk about them?"

"This isn't about-"

"But it can be, Gerard, I want to help you. Let me."

"No, Frankie, I can't. I won't do that to you."

"And why not?"

"I just can't, okay? They're my problems, not yours."

"Gerard, I want to help. I don't care, I'll be there for you."

"You're already there for me. I haven't had a nightmare in a while."

"You had one last night. What was it about?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Gerard, please j-"

"No. That's final." He got up and left my room. I followed him, trying to apologize, but he didn't respond. Mikey was on the couch when we entered the room. Gerard sat down next to his brother and began to pull on his black high tops.

"You're not leaving, are you?" Gerard looked up at me and his eyes softened.

"Just going for a walk. I'll be right back." He smiled at me and pulled the door open, closing it behind him.