22

Gerard

I sat on the couch, staring up at the ceiling. Frank and Mikey had just left for school, and Frank's parents both had work, so I was alone. Frank had tried to stay home, but his mom had made sure he was going to school. He was going to see if Patrick could come over after school so we could begin plotting getting Mikey and Pete together. I looked around and spotted the TV remote. I turned on the TV and began to scroll through the channels. I ended up watching nature documentaries for the rest of the day. I startled at the sound of the screen door being closed. I poked my head up over the side of the couch and saw Frank and Mikey walk in, another person standing behind them. He was wearing a solid back shirt under a tan army jacket, along with jeans. An 'I Love Bingo' hat sat on top of a mess of blonde-orange hair. Thick, black glasses sat on the bridge of his nose. He waved towards me as I sat up, turning off the TV. Frank came over and kissed the top of my head, then introduced me to the new kid.

"Gerard, this is Patrick. I told you about him while you were in the hospital." I got up off the couch as walked over to Patrick. We shook hands and then retreated back to Frank's room. We sat in a triangle, Frank leaning against the door to stop Mikey from opening it.

"Okay, so, like, Patrick, you're friends with Pete, right? Has he mentioned Mikey at all?"

"Yeah. I think he said something about his jawline once."

"Just his jawline?"

"Yeah, he called him hot once too."

"Okay, that's a start." I sat forward eagerly, and Frank reached over to steady me. I took his hand and laced fingers.

"Okay, here's the plan. Double date. Dinner, then we can go to the fair. I hear it gets super romantic at night." Frank looked over at me with concern.

"Are you sure you can leave the house? I mean, you got out of the hospital yesterday."

"I'll be fine. Your dad's just overly worried. I've recovered from much worse than a cold."

"But, Gee, this cold put you in the hospital."

"I didn't need to go to the hospital, your dad just freaked out. I can definitely leave the house." Our argument was interrupted by Patrick.

"You guys are adorable. If Mikey is like this, Pete's gonna be so lucky." Frank laughed and fell back into the door. I stood up and stretched. Frank followed me as I left the room, along with Patrick. I found Mikey sitting on the couch, smiling at his phone. I plopped down next to him and put my arm around his shoulders.

"Hey, Mikes. Who're you texting?"

"A friend."

"What's your friend's name?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"Well, Frank and I might be going out to dinner, then to the fair. Why don't you ask them to come with? But, I have to know their name."

"Ugh,fine. His name is Pete. And, yeah, I guess I could see if he'd be interested."

"Great!"

"But, Gee, are you really ready to leave the house?"

"Of course I am. I just have to, like, shower first."

"That's not what I meant. I mean, about just getting out of the hospital."

"I'll be fine." I stood up and left Mikey on the couch, and entered the bathroom after getting a change of clothes out of Frank's room. I peeled off my clothes after turning on the water. I heard Frank and Patrick talking as they went back to his room. After my shower, I changed and left the bathroom. I found Frank saying goodbye to Patrick. We shook hands and I waved as he left. Frank turned towards me and smiled. Mikey had left  of the room,then came back wearing an Anthrax shirt, but was still wearing his jeans and combat boots.

"So, when are we leaving?"

"As soon as Gerard puts on some shoes." I giggled and went to put on my black high tops. When I got back, Frank held open the door and we all walked out into the chilly night. I immediately regret not bringing a jacket, but I wasn't about to ask Frank for his. We stopped in front of a house and Mikey went up to knock on the door. Surprisingly, Patrick answered. He said something to Mikey, then went back into the house. A few minutes later, a different boy walked out. He had some kind of emo haircut, and was almost as pale as me. MIkey walked back over to me and Frank.

"Gerard, this is Pete. Pete, this is my brother, Gerard."

"Nice to meet you, Gerard."

"The pleasure is all mine."