24

Gerard

I sat on Frank's bed and stared down at him. He was snoring softly and his chest rose and fell evenly. I took a deep breath with my own mucus-filled lungs. I still had a cold, but it wasn't as bad as before. The only symptoms I had left were a runny nose and a cough. I had woken up to the inability to breath through my nose, and had gotten up and practically drained the tissue supply. I figured out how to snuggle back in next to Frank and pulled the blanket up over my shoulder. I drifted to sleep and woke up the next morning feeling surprisingly well rested. I heard some kind of noise and slowly sat up. The bed had long gotten cold from Frank's absence, so the only option was to get up and look for him. I drifted into the kitchen and looked around. The house appeared to be empty.

"Hello?" I pulled out my phone and confirmed that it was Saturday. Then someone should be home.

"Frank?" I paused.

"Mikey?" My voice broke and I started coughing. I looked through the entire house, only to find it completely empty. I double-checked the house, then finally pulled out my phone. Shaking slightly, I called Mikey. He picked up after the first ring.

"Oh, hey G-"

"WHERE ARE YOU?? THE HOUSE IS FUCKING EMPTY!! IT'S EMPTY, MIKEY!!"

"Oh, okay, calm down. We just went shopping. We'll be back. Mr.Iero said you weren't going to wake up for a while. We were planning on being back by the time you woke up."

"Why would you all leave? Why not leave someone behind for when I did wake up?"

"I don't know. Mr.Iero wanted to do stuff with Frank, I think, and Mrs.Iero didn't want to let me feel left out? It's complicated."

"Fine. Just, come home soon, okay?"

"Of course. We'll be right there." Mikey hung up and I brought the phone away from my ear. Another noise made itself known somewhere behind me. I turned around and looked at all the cabinets. I came to the conclusion that I was going crazy and walked back to Frank's room. I sat on the bed and stared at the wall. A thud came from the window and I slowly looked out of it. The guy that had beaten me up that day was standing out on the lawn. He pointed at me, then at the ground in front of him. I shook my head and disappeared behind the curtain. A sharp crack sounded from outside. The guy had approached the house and was banging on the window.

"WAY! GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE!" I shrugged like I couldn't hear him and hid under the covers of the bed. He yelled again, which was starting to give me a headache. The glass shattered and rained down on me. I was lucky I was wearing the hoodie Frank had gotten me. The man reached his hand inside, avoiding the broken glass and grasped my hood.

"Shi-" He yanked me up and out of the window. I smacked into the ground and managed to look up at my attacker. He smiled cruelly and cracked his knuckles. I scampered back and bumped into the side of the house. He kicked me in the stomach and watched as I curled in on myself. The blows kept coming, until he eventually picked my up by the collar of my hoodie. He smiled, and I recognized the scent of alcohol on his breath.

"You...Are...Drunk."

"So what if I am? That won't stop what's gonna happen to you." I watched the Ieros' car pull up in the driveway. Both Frank and Mikey came running out of it. Mikey tackled my attacker as Frank steadied me by my shoulders.

"Oh god, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. He's drunk, though." Mr.Iero pulled Mikey off the guy and knelt down next to him. Mikey walked over to me and started examining me for injuries.

"I'm sorry about your window."

"Windows can be replaced, Gerard. You can't."

"Thank you."

"For what? Mikey did all the work."

"Not this. For getting me away from my mom. I thought I would never get away from her. But, then you came along. You saved me, Frankie."