Chapter 27.

"The moment your eyes met mine, I got to know what heaven looks like." -NM Prabhu

Ana's POV

A knock on the door brings me out of my muse. I let out a small 'come in' and continue with the painting I am working on. I put my brush aside and turn around when I hear the screeching of the door.

"Hey, Ana." He smiles with his tongue in between his teeth. He's wearing a short sleeved shirt with leaves printed all over it, along with his black skinny jeans and his signature leather jacket and a pair of H&M brown boots.

"Hello, Zayn." I smile back.

"How do you like it here so far?" He asks, leans against one of the walls and folds his arms against his chest.

It feels so weird to be doing something I love and earn thousands. I never would have believed someone if they told me that I'll be doing this a couple of months ago, I would have laughed at them. I don't know how but everything seems to fall back into place and I love how it is going.

But it's inevitable, everything that's good comes to an end.

"I love it here!" I exclaim and hear Zayn chuckle a little. "I feel so lucky to be here and do what I always wanted to," I speak my thoughts.

"We're lucky to have you." Zayn compliments and I slightly blush. He detaches himself from the wall, pulls an envelope from his back pocket and offers it to me. I furrow my eyebrows as I eye the envelope.

"What's this?"

"Your first paycheck." He smiles. "I know it's been more than a month, but just because I was in Bradford and I wanted to give you your first check on my own."

I didn't even realise that it has already been more than a month since I started working here, more than a month since I met my family but I know I'll meet them soon, for they promised to come to London this weekend, and more than a month since I started dating Niall.

A broad smile spread on my face as I take the envelope from Zayn's hand. I trace my palm on its surface and stare at it. This feels so unreal but real at the same time. I tear the envelope and pull out the paper from it. I can clearly see my name in capital letters along with my bank number and the amount. I'm so proud of myself.

"Thank you so much Zayn," I say and step towards him before wrapping my arms around him. "Thank you," I mumble again.

"You don't have to thank me. It is all because of your hard work, Ana." I pull away from the hug and step back. "You-You've got paint on your face." He observes and I see him step towards me. He lifts his thumb and grazes my cheeks, cleaning the paint off of my face, and I freeze in place. "Beautiful as ever."

"Um-Thanks," I say and take a few steps backwards, not liking our proximity.

"Would you like to grab coffee sometime?" He asks, after a silence of few seconds.

"No." I blurt out but quickly amend. "I mean- I have a boyfriend."

"Oh." Is all he says before laughing embarrassingly. "My bad." He shrugs and I offer him a small awkward smile. He's a nice and a handsome guy, but I'm not romantically attracted to him. We just stand there looking at something and the air in the room is so thick that a knife can cut through. I awkwardly fidget with my fingers as I stare at the wall until he speaks. "I'll get going, then." He offers a tight lipped smile and I wave at him when he walks out of the room. I release a small breath I didn't know I was holding.

I complete my painting within the next couple of hours and leave it on the floor to dry.

I pick up my phone and message Niall, asking him at what time will he come today but he doesn't reply right away. I lock my studio room behind me and head towards my car. I put the key in the ignition and start the engine before I speed away. I hear my phone ring that is lying on the console. I pick my phone up to see a notification from Niall.