Chapter 8: Pixie

Jacob placed the cage on the ground and opened the door. He stepped back and waited.

I took my sweet time. I moved slowly and cautiously walked from the pet carrier.

I looked at the human before me and tilted my head. Was this really him? If it was Jacob, he looked better as an Eevee.

I made a sound. (I don't know what sound, you tell me, what does the fox say! (please don't hate me.))

Jacob smiled and bent down on one knee. He put his palm out flat and let me go to him.

I walked forward and sniffed his hand. He laughed.

"Mum was right, you are pretty cute."

He scratched under my chin and I purred in appreciation. (Do foxes purr? Maybe a carry-on effect from being a Vulpix)

"You know, I had a friend once, you kinda look like her, her name was Pixie. Damn I miss her."

I stopped purring.

"Jacob?"

He couldn't understand me. He sighed.

"She was a Vulpix. That's a Pokémon. People think that Pokémon aren't real, but I know otherwise, I know she's real."

Moisture gathered in my eyes as I blinked.

"She was a real pain."

My head dropped.

"But also..."

My head raised.

"She was a real friend. Real funny, real pretty, real feisty. It makes me sad, that I never got the chance to tell her, that I love her."

I leapt into the human boy's arms and cradled myself against his chest. He stared in surprise but then bellowed in laughter.

"Jacob!" I cried out.

I sobbed loudly but no tears fell, apparently animals only cry to remove irritants from their eyes.

Jacob held the fox. My crying sounded like I was being strangled while laughing.

Jacob laughed at me.

"Huh, thanks girl, I needed a hug. Now then, you need a name."

"Huh?" I said, all he heard was, "Ruo?"

I looked at him.

"What to call you?"

I started chanting. "It's me, Pixie, call me Pixie."

"I can't call you Pixie."

"Why in the distortion world not! Pixie is my name!"

"How about... Alexis?"

"What?"

"Nala?"

"Oh, for Shaymin's sake."

Jacob snapped his fingers, he smiled widely, and I panicked.

"I've got it. Lavender."

I jumped from his arms and ran away. Jacob shouted after me; "It's not that bad!"

He waited, when I didn't run back he sighed, I watched him from around a corner. He got up and put the carry cage away. Then poured himself a glass of water, I realised how thirsty I was.

I went out and sat at his feet. He looked down at me confused, then looked at the cup in his hand.

"Oh, right, sorry."

He pulled out a bowl, filled it with water and placed it on the ground. I drank it gratefully, he knelt down and ran his hand along my back. It felt nice.

I finished drinking and looked at him. I jumped forwards and climbed until I was perched on his shoulder, then I licked his cheek.

He laughed and stood up. I stayed on his shoulder, he started walking around performing various chores, all the while talking to me.

Eventually he placed the collar back on me. I'd found him, I was happy, I could stay here with him, and if I wanted, I could talk to him, I could make him understand me. Maybe it was time to use my wish...

He sighed deeply, his hands were white, he gripped the tabletop tightly, his voice was sad and heavy when he spoke.

"You know girl, if I could, I would go back to the Pokémon world, but..."

My hopes both rose and plummeted in an instant.

"I have to stay here. I couldn't leave my mum."

Something clutched my heart, it squeezed tight and wouldn't let go, it wasn't time to use my wish. Not yet.