Chapter 15: Jacob

Finally, term one of school was done and I was ready for a break. I walked into the house and Pixie greeted me at the door.

"Guess what Girl, it's school holidays, you know what that means? It means late nights and sleep-ins, instead of being home by yourself, I'll be here with you most days. How goods that huh?"

I bent down and opened my arms expecting Pixie to run to me. She didn't. I whistled and tried calling her name.

"Pixie, Pixie here girl, come here."

Pixie walked away and sat in front of her food bowl, I sighed and grabbed a can of food from the pantry, I opened it but didn't give it to her.

"You know, ever since that night I had dinner with Rosie you've been acting weird, that was nearly two months ago! You're not getting fed until you tell me what's wrong."

Pixie barked at me.

"No! You're being a bitch! It's like your upset with me! You stopped sleeping in my bed, you don't run into my arms like you used to, you don't sit on my shoulder, hell you won't even let me brush you anymore!"

Pixie stared at the ground, I felt bad for yelling.

"Hey, I'm sorry, come on Pixie, please talk to me."

I bent down and reached a hand to scratch under her chin, Pixie lashed out and her teeth sunk into my hand. I roared in pain and jerked my hand back, she fell at my sudden movement and yelping, slammed into the floorboards, the can of food I had been holding went flying, it hit the ground and went everywhere.

I growled at Pixie, "You may be my pet, but you're not my friend." I picked her up and threw her outside, she landed roughly on her four paws and fell onto her side, I glared at her, closed the door and locked it.

I walked to the sink cradling my injured right hand, I ran cold water over it and eventually stopped the bleeding, rubbing hand-sanitizer over the cut hurt but I knew it would make it better. Pixie had initially left a bite mark and some small puncture wounds but when I pulled back I had drawn her teeth over my hand, my palm was slashed diagonally from the little finger to the thumb.

I walked to the medicine cupboard and wrapped a bandage around my hand, then I went to my room and sat at my desk.

Why? Why was Pixie being like this?

I knew something wasn't right, but I couldn't work out what, it seemed like the answer should be painfully obvious, but it wasn't. There was something I was missing.