Chapter 19:

Tim pulled up at the nature reserve, Jacob jumped out of the car and ran in. He quickly reached the clearing where he had last seen Pixie.

"Pixie! Pixie!"

She was nowhere to be found.

Rosie and Tim arrived in the clearing.

"Don't worry, we'll find her." Tim said.

The trio combed the forest, calling and searching for a long time.

Jacob was searching by himself in the middle of the forest when his spirit broke.

"Pixie!" He shouted, then he dropped to his knees and hung his head, he whispered an apology, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

Something about this felt familiar, Déjà vu, he had done this before. The last time an Eevee had been sitting on a cliff, crying, and wishing he could bring her back, but he couldn't, only she decided if she'd come back. She had that first time, she had trusted him right to the end, she had forgiven him.

"Pixie, I'm sorry, if only tears could bring you back."

The sun was beginning to set, Jacob waited and waited, but Pixie never came.

At nearly seven o'clock Tim and Rosie found their friend in a truly pitiable state.

Tim didn't know what to do, Rosie walked forwards and placed a hand on Jacob's shoulder.

"Love is a choice, we decide how to use and where to give it, you told me that, remember? You chose to love Pixie, and she won't ever forget that, tonight let's go home, tomorrow, we'll pack up camp and we'll look again, and we'll find her, okay?"

Jacob smiled sadly at Rosie and then at Tim. Jacob nodded and stood, tears ran down his face and he looked like an honest mess. They left the reserve got back in the car and drove to Jacob's house.

Jacob got out of the car and walked towards the front door, he waved goodbye to his friends and they left. Jacob reached for the doorknob, but an unfamiliar car came down his driveway, he dried his eyes and watched on in confusion.

It was a small white car, an old lady got out and shuffled around the front.

"Excuse me young man, would this be thirty-two Cullert street?" She asked in a tired voice.

"Yes, it is."

The lady smiled brightly, "Good, I'm glad, I've owned many fantastic animals in my time but now I'm too old, I wouldn't know what to do with one."

She opened the passenger door of her car and out jumped Pixie. She froze and didn't move when she realised where she was.

Jacob fell to his knees and he couldn't stop the tears.

"Pixie..."

Jacob's body trembled and was racked with sobs, he lifted shaking arms and held them out wide, he smiled sadly, and his tears fell to the ground.

Pixie ran forward and leapt into his arms. He hugged her tight and didn't let go.

Jacob raised his eyes and looked at the sweet old-lady who was smiling at him, a tear fell from her eyes as she watched the scene before her. Jacob stood and hugged the old lady.

"Thank-you so much." He released her, and she laughed.

"It was my pleasure."

"But, how did you know that she was from here?"

The lady pointed at Pixie's neck.

"That's a good collar." She said.

The collar... Jacob had forgotten to take it off, he couldn't help but laugh.

The lady walked back to the driver's side of her car, she opened the door but before she got in she said, "That there's a special fox, take care of her."

"I will."

The lady nodded, got in her car and drove off.

Jacob carried Pixie inside and held her close. When Jacob's mother arrived home slightly later she was surprised to find her son, asleep, in a ball on the couch, tear streaks lining his cheeks and clutching a fox pup close to his chest.

She smiled and whispered to Pixie.

"Thank-you for taking care of my son."