Chapter 9: Jacob

I picked up my school bag and walked towards the door, I called out: "Mum, we're gonna be late!"

"I'm coming!" My mum called back.

*Arh? *

Lavender (Pixie) tilted her head at me in confusion, I couldn't help but laugh.

"Don't worry girl, I'll be back soon."

Mum walked down the hallway and gathered her work stuff.

"Okay let's go." She said.

"Bye Lavender."

The fox cub growled at me, my mum chuckled.

"I don't think she likes that name."

"Well what do you suggest?"

"Hm, you know, when I visited you in the hospital, sometimes you'd mutter words in your sleep, some of them sounded like names. I like Pixie."

The fox yipped in agreement.

My mum laughed. "Okay your name is now Pixie!"

I glared at the fox, I swear she was snickering.

She stopped when mum and I left the house and closed the door behind us.

******

Tim sat next to me on the bus.

"Hey man, how goes the new pet?"

"She's ok."

"Okay? Admit it, she's adorable and you love her already."

"Okay, fine, maybe she's not half-bad."

Tim nodded with a satisfied smile and was silent.

"Thank-you." I said.

He frowned at me.

"What for?"

"Nothing-in-particular."

"Okay."

The two talked until they got to school. The day passed fairly quickly, and the pair bussed back home. It hadn't taken long, Tim and Jacob, they'd become good friends. Jacob didn't know how to explain their relationship but after only two days he knew, Tim had his back and he had Tim's.

I was smiling when I walked up to the house, I unlocked the door and before I had even stepped in a fox came running around the corner, she sprinted forwards, slipped on the polished floorboards and crashed into my legs.

I laughed and picked her up.

"Hey Lavender."

She growled.

"Seriously? Do I really have to call you Pixie?"

The fox cub I cradled in my arms nodded. I blinked a few times and shook my head, must've been my imagination.

I placed her back on the ground and walked to the kitchen.

"You hungry Lav?"

She growled, I sighed.

"You hungry Pixie?"

She stopped growling and yipped happily. I shook my head in disbelief and fed her some wet cat-food. Mum had said that cat food would be fine, and Pixie certainly didn't seem to mind. She attacked the food and swallowed it viciously.

I rolled my eyes and went to my room to do some schoolwork. I sat at my desk and opened my laptop, it sat with a cursor blinking at me. I stared out the window.

I didn't notice Pixie enter the room. She jumped onto my lap and ran her long tail under my chin, she curled up before yawning and closing her eyes. I laughed and stroked her a few times before starting my homework.