Chapter 27:

Jacob's house was quiet and still, the lights were off, the blinds were closed, it was dark and cold and impossible to tell it was midday except for the clock which hung on the wall. The clock ticked over loudly in the depressed silence.

Jacob sat at the table, head in his arms, Pixie lay still, watching him and wishing that she could be of some comfort.

There was a knock at the door, Pixie looked at the sound, but Jacob didn't move though he was awake.

"Jacob! It's Tim and Rosie! Jacob we're coming in!"

The handle turned, Tim and Rosie entered the house and looked sadly at their friend. Tim placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, Jacob didn't move but he did speak. Tim and Rosie struggled to understand the muffled words as Jacob talked through his arms, into the table.

"Jacob, we can't understand you." Rosie said.

Jacob lifted his head and slumped backwards in the chair, he gestured for his friends to join him and they sat at the opposite side of the table.

They waited for Jacob to say something, he blinked a lot, rubbed his eyes once or twice and looked at his friends.

"I couldn't cry, I was right there, next to her when she died, I didn't cry, I wanted to, I tried so hard but... I couldn't. Does that mean, I didn't love her?"

Tim slapped the table violently, he looked angry.

"No! You, you have the biggest heart of anyone I have ever met, and I know for certain that you loved your mother with all of it. The reason you didn't cry, is because deep down, you knew that she didn't want that, your mother only ever wanted you to be happy, and that's why you didn't cry, because you know that if you are going to cry, your mother wanted your tears, to be tears of joy."

Jacob let Tim's words sink in and he smiled weakly.

"Thanks Tim."

Tim nodded, and Rosie started talking.

"You know your mother wanted you to be happy, so, what are you going to do now?"

Jacob stood and walked around the room, he opened all the shutters and sunlight poured in, he bathed in its warmth and he smiled at his friends.

"You're right, my mother wanted me to be happy, so I'm that's what I'm going to do. Rosie, Tim, I'm going to leave this place, I won't be coming back."

"So, this is goodbye then?" Tim asked sadly.

"No, not if you come with me, where I'm going, is a place unlike any other."

Tim and Rosie shared a look, they clasped hands and looked at their friend, Jacob's face fell as he looked at them, Rosie stepped forward and hugged him tight.

"We can't come Jacob, not this time." She said.

Jacob took a second to process her words, then he returned the hug.

"Okay then, take care of yourself Rosie." He whispered.

She released the embrace and stepped back, she smiled at Jacob with trembling lips, there were tears in her eyes.

Tim stepped forward now, his dominating figure towered over Jacob, they didn't need to say anything. They hugged and gripped one another's shoulders tightly, neither wanted to let go, but they did.

"Thanks for everything, brother." Tim said.

Jacob stood a little straighter and his chest puffed out, he looked at his two friends for the last time.

"I'll miss you both, and I will never, forget you, my irreplaceable friends. Thank-you for everything."

Rosie and Tim nodded and walked from the house, they got into the car and Tim started the engine, Jacob mentally slapped himself, these were his best friends, he couldn't leave them on a sad-note.

He ran out the door and shouted at the retreating car, "If you two ever have a son, name him after me!"

Jacob walked back into the house, he looked around, the old heap of wood which had stood through thick and thin and had always been his home.

Jacob patted the wood of the house and whispered the words, "Thank-you." He fancied that his mum could still hear him, after all, the house was little more than wood and nails, his mother, she had made it a home.

Jacob spun around and took it all in before his gaze settled on Pixie, he smiled at her and she yipped bravely at him.

"Well Pixie, what do you say? Let's go back to Sharpedo Bluff, let's go home."

Pixie smiled, she placed a paw on her collar and barked the words.

"Palkia if you're listening, I know I don't have Jirachi's wish anymore, but please, we're ready to come home."

Slowly their surroundings faded, a flash of light.

Pixie and Jacob woke up with a head-ache, they could hear waves crashing and bird-Pokémon singing, they groaned and sat up and looked at each other, for a second, they were too stunned to move, but only a second. They leapt forwards, the Eevee and the Vulpix hugged each other tightly, and then Pixie kissed Jacob.

Jacob was caught by surprise but kissed her back, Pixie broke both their hug and the kiss and spat a few times.

"Kissing is weird, licking is easier." She said.

Jacob laughed, licked Pixie's forehead, and they sat and watched the sunset from their home.