The Demon Situation

"How about you and me go out for some gruel sometime?" asked Vex, who had been flirting with Anadil for the past few days.

He reached his hand out to touch Anadil's and-

Hester's demon flew off her neck and leapt at Vex.

As her demon flew through the air, the door opened and Professor Manley walked in.

Anadil's eyes widened and she grabbed Hester's demon midair, shoving it into her lap before the teacher could see it.

Anadil prepared for the demon to scratch her (as it was as adverse to physical contact as Hester herself was), but it didn't.

Anadil looked at her lap and saw the demon just lay down, setting its head on her knee and letting out a sound that resembled... purring.

Hester stared in shock, having been ready to actually defend Anadil from the demon, and didn't notice Vex slink off.

Hester blushed as her demon actually curled up in a little ball, putting its head down.

Anadil, who still had a hand on said demon, glanced over at Hester.

Hester tried to call her demon back, but it seemed quite content where it was, still making that almost-purring sound that Hester had never heard it make before.

Hester tried to ignore them.

Anadil kept looking from her to the demon and then back again.

Hester's finger glowed bright red and she tried again to call the demon back to her neck.

It didn't work.

Anadil realized what was happening from Hester frustrated expression and aggressive jabs with her glowing finger. She looked down at the demon.

Why isn't it going back? thought both Hester and Anadil.

Anadil found herself idly petting the demon like she did her rats.

Hester suddenly jerked, her hand going to her neck.

Anadil frowned in confusion and looked over at her friend.

Her eyes were slowly drawn down to the demon.

Her fingers were currently touching the demon's neck.

Anadil eyes went back up and saw Hester looking back at her.

"Don't," Hester whispered.

Anadil glanced over at the professor as he lectured them, watching all of them sternly. He was a strict teacher and nobody used their talents in his class lest they wished to go to the doom room.

Anadil smirked and looked back at Hester.

Her finger reconnected with the demon's neck and Hester felt goosebumps rise on her own.

She slapped a hand over where she could feel the ghost of Anadil's fingers.

"Ani, stop," Hester hissed.

"Make me," Anadil whispered.

Hester tried, and failed, to summon her demon back.

"Ani!" she said.

Anadil trailed her finger along the demon's spine and Hester let out a quiet gasp.

Hester rolled her shoulders uncomfortably as Anadil continued to trail her finger right above the demon's back.

While Hester looked about ready to murder Anadil, her demon looked quite the opposite as it continued to make that purring sound and sprawled out on her like a dog wanting to be petted.