Nickname

There were a lot of things Nevers didn't do.

Kiss, fall in love, get married, cry, make friends, get happy endings, go on dates, allow physical contact...

And give each other nicknames.

It was always the full name or a suitable "hey, you!"

And Anadil had never found herself really wanting any of those forbidden things.

That is until she met Hester.

She had kept her wildest (and weirdest) fantasies to herself quite easily, however.

That is until one of these rules was violated.

It had been in the heat of a very tense situation (when they had been trying to release her rats to attack Tedros so Sophie could be the hero and save her prince) when it first happened.

She hadn't realized it at firSt, but when she did her eyes went wide and her mouth fell open.

It was only three letters, but the nickname meant more to Anadil than anything else Hester had ever done.

A simple rule broken, but it made every other rule seem suddenly weakened.

~

Every time she heard it, her mind blanked for just a moment.

"Ani, can you pass me that textbook?" Hester asked.

Anadil paused for a second before complying with the request and handing the book over.

Hester didn't seem to realize how the nickname affected her.

But every time Hester said "Ani," the albino felt as if every rule lost a bit of its power.

Like each time they were closer to breaking another rule.

~

It wasn't long until they were in their second year at school and Hester had officially called Anadil her friend.

It was when the new dean had first appeared.

There had been a vaguely worded threat toward the coven that Anadil honesty couldn't remember, but she did remember Hester's instantaneous response.

"Nobody hurts my friends," she'd growled out.

She had admitted both Anadil and Dot were her friends in that moment and both had had mini heart attacks.

Especially Anadil.

It caused a weird feeling in her stomach.

It wasn't entirely unpleasant, but it made her feel nervous and excited at the same time.

She didn't know if she hated it or loved it.

She hoped it was the first, but she was quite certain it was the second.

Hester had spun on her heel and stalked off.

Anadil and Dot had followed her down the hallway soon after, flanking her sides like always.

Anadil knew Hester was formulating an evil plan (and she always loved watching the gears turn in Hester's brain), but the albino couldn't pay any attention to her.

She was too busy thinking about how Hester had called her a friend.

Nevers weren't supposed to have friends... but the rules seemed to have changed along with the schools.

Did this mean...

Anadil didn't know what the hopes it meant and stopped herself from going any further down that rabbit hole.