Day 34 - winter is coming!

I thought I would have a lazy day today with just Dad – hopefully catching up on my blog like I'm sure you would have wanted and waiting for Mum to come home to watch Game of Thrones but no! Who would have thought that the first weekday out of hospital that I would have so many agencies needing to arrange things for me? If I had thought about it, I would have realised.

Firstly, at 7am there was a knock on the door. Mum panicked and assumed it was a carer but it turned out to be a large mysterious package – for me! Well it would have been mysterious had it not had "If not sent, return to Lucy" so I knew it was very lovey goodies from her and my another dancing friend, Laura, which included a whole load of beauty pampering treats, two dance movies and a notebook – very nice indeed! Thank you!

Mum went back to work today which was really sad but, as I said before, I was looking forward to a lazy day with Dad like I've enjoyed many times before. Dad had kindly taken the day off to make sure I was alright and, after all the visits I had, I was really glad he was here as it was all a bit overwhelming. Both my parents' work places have been really good with letting them have time off and Mum has gone back to her school on a half time table. Especially as I was still getting settled into living at home, it was really nice having Dad to help me and essentially feed me.

We heard a knock on the day in the late morning and again we assumed it was the carer again but it turned out to be the district nurse, Joseph, who had come to check my bandages. There ended up a really awkward bit where Joseph was just starting to dress my... wounds? They're not really wounds though as they are all healed so I supposed they are suture lines or stitches – ah doesn't matter, you get me anyways. Anyway, Joseph was setting up the dressings and then the carers phoned me on my mobile and thankfully he didn't mind me taking the phone call. Whilst as I was taking that call with Joseph next to me, Dad brought in the home phone and said the Home Ward therapist was on the phone wo thankfully agreed to phone back later – which was 5 minutes later, leading to another awkward phone call in front of this poor district nurse. In the end, everything as resolved: the carer would be with me shortly and the Home Ward therapist later on.

Eventually, everything dressed and also Joseph said he would get a pressure cushion for my chair, a pressure overlay mattress for my bed and a heel protector – what I call a "space boot" for my stump because I was beginning to get redness on the right side. The right side has less swelling so my leg tends to rest on that side more but this has caused redness on the fragile skin. Writing this from 5 days in the future, the space boot is amazing – it makes my leg feel more protected from ordinary bumps and knocks, it's quite comfy for it and psychologically makes it look better for other people or at least makes them aware of it.

The next visitor was the carer, Edna, a really lovely and jolly lady. I think I forgot to mention it but a carer, who happened to be Edna as well, from Ealing social services turned up on Saturday to wash me, etc, but we'd told the hospital we didn't need any help until Monday. We didn't even have a bowl yet so that I could have a bed bath. This led to a bit of an awkward introduction but she was really helpful and told us all about what we could expect from them and what to prepare for them (like importantly a bowl!).

Edna washed my back for me, which I think is the only problematic bit for me. On an ordinary Monday for me, I would need breakfast made for me and maybe a coffee if I bat my eyelids because I just can't get to the kitchen and then a bowl of warm water in order to wash. To be honest, I can wash myself completely and otherwise I think I'm now (on Saturday) adapted to everything.

My uncle Kevin came over around Lunch to see how I was, which was a lot better than being sick on him! I think or at least hope that it was nice for him to see me happy and settled at home. The lucky man and his lovely wife, Hilary, had been in Dorset for the two weeks prior so he had quite a good colour on him – brown not red! And he was looking very trendy in a grey flat cap – quite the hipster! Helen also came over so it was a really lovely lunchtime.

A little later, the last visitor – I swear it was like buses all day – knocked on the door. This was Victoria, the Home Ward therapist, who was working out the equipment I would need to make me more comfortable. As I've said, Dad had managed to borrow a ramp but Victoria said she could order one for us as well as a key safe and a more standard wheelchair so that I would be able to get around a bit more.

The most exciting part of the day was cuddling up with Mum in the fluffy wolf-looking blanket (features in the picture – pic taken on Friday after my haircut where I had my hair blown straight if anybody wonders) and watching Game of Thrones together. She bought the blanket because she thought I would be cold in hospital but we quickly discovered that Valentine-Ellis Ward is transforming itself into a tropical rainforest without the greenery except in the trousers of the occupational therapists. Game of Thrones didn't disappoint especially the end and I won't spoil except to say that, in the end scene, I reckon she's Shiera Seastar.

Anyways, nothing gets more exciting after that and definitely nothing to note. There's my first proper physio session to look forward to tomorrow but that'll it for tonight so see you tomorrow!