Week 13 - Walking on air

Post to be read with "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves followed by "We're walking in the air" from the Snowman being played in the background on repeat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aktgc7Irs8g

So yes I walked this week for the first time in yonks! To be fair it was on a giant air bag with a metal cage around it called a PPAM Aid – something that resembles a medieval torture instrument! It was so exciting though! Your legs don't forget to walk but it is an odd sensation to get back into the swing of things quite nostalgia, maybe something very similar to nostalgia. The PPAM aid takes 50% of the weight and my arms take a lot too as I move along the parallel bars but I don't actually get any extra pain from walking at all like I thought I might. Mr Nethwani said that the bones might still snap in my stump so we're proceeding very slowly and cautiously.

Perhaps I should start from the beginning though. Basically, I saw Mr Simmons again, which is always a joy of course! On Monday I got a call from my physio (Laura) that my plastic surgeon (Mr Simmons) told her that my orthopaedic surgeon (Mr Nethwani) told him to tell me to come on Tuesday not Wednesday. This wasn't exactly, or in any way, translated to the reception or nursing staff so that was a big confusion that carried on until the Monday after when I had to phone up to say that I had been at the appointment when I got a letter to say I hadn't been and had now been discharged to my GP – eek! Oh well, confusion now sorted and everything is good.

Mr Simmons was impressed with how everything has healed and, after having another X-ray, Mr Nethwani was also impressed. It was his decision whether I would put weight through my stump and, I don't know why, I thought that this would still not happen for a while especially since he said he would see me next in a couple of months. He was talking about some sort of contraption which I initially thought was the rigid dressing we want to get, which will mean I can use crutches without too much risk of damaging the stump. However, as we talked, I realised what he meant and eve nasked him if he really meant it. I could use the PPAM aid and I would be walking and hopefully walking with a prosthetic by the next time I see him.

I was over the moon – not quite literally, I'm more over an air bag, or at least not yet over the moon (Tim Peake watch out!). That's was the big happiness in the week that ended in absolute despair.

I had been running the campaign centre for Labour remain in Northfields and Walpole wards on Thursday so if anyone got knocked up (me and Susanna still snigger at that phrase) on Thursday by Labour remain, I had sent them to you. I was just sending people out in groups to knock on doors or leaflet to areas I thought were useful there and then but everyone was so helpful that I feel like I didn't really do much. Helen, my godmother, accommodated us very well and Susanna looked after me though our plan to watch 22 Jump Street did not entirely go to plan. Our plan to order pizza on the other hand went remarkably well. It was all really fun though and I really like those sort of strategy things – it reminds me of the joys of decision maths.

Friday morning I just felt sick though. We drowned our sorrows in very yummy ice cream though and a bit of shopping. There's not much I can say really except just how it will all turn out I don't know. I just can't see it and I'm usually quite good at seeing things happening. Maybe it's like this boulder, it will break us and we'll never be the same again – for better or worse.

On a more light-hearted note, it was my friend Emma's birthday so we first went to a café up the road (different to the one I will describe below which only takes 5 mins to get to). This café takes at least 15 mins to get to on two legs let alone in a wheelchair but we were late so Susanna stormed me there. One sort of middle-aged-elderly man tried to stop us with banter by saying to me, "why don't get out and walk?" I know it was only joking but I really don't understand some people – how does he know I'm not completely and utterly traumatised... perhaps I am. Anyway Susanna showed him when he asked if she needed help (I should probably mention Susanna had not once given up on her storming during this discourse). Even though she said, "Nah, it's fine, thanks," he still tried to help but ended up running along beside us instead (Susanna is well fast) and we lost him a couple of minutes later. She didn't even wait at roads... one van waited for us to cross a road as he was turning into it from the busy main road. Anyway, we got to the café in no more than 5 minutes and with all bits intact... or at least all the bits we left with.

We carried on the festivities at the Ceramics Café where I painted a plate and Emma painted a teapot (Susanna went to Pride instead). I just did a bird on a tree and I'll post a picture when I eventually pick it up. Basically, you pick something to paint, paint it, then it gets baked and then you pick it up a week or so later. It was actually really fun and her friends from university were really lovely – really recommend it for anyone needing something fun and tranquil to do.

Corin came over on Sunday and we went to the café up the road. I should get some sort of freedom pass for that place based on the frequency of my visits. However, they didn't have any milkshakes or waffles which I had promised.... and Google maps had taken him to Wimbledon! There was much catching up, discussions on the Yu-Gi-Oh anime and insect analogies based on the EU referendum, which was as always really lovely. Also, Corin's going to CERN for 18 months! We'll have to go visit!

I've probably forgotten something else that happened but I can't remember so never mind! Sayonara!