F O U R

~ Gone ~
~ day 6 ~
• C H E Y E N N E •

I lie on my back and stare up at the ceiling above me, watching through the skylight as the clouds cover the moon. There were so many things going through my mind. It simply didn't feel right being here. Not in Joker's warehouse, but in Gotham.

No one knew I was back other than Joker, his men, and Suki, yet it felt like there was a huge red target on my back. I've always been a criminal, always been somewhat wanted. Even on the run, I felt safe. Why do I feel so exposed now?

I roll over on my side, staring at the clock. 3:56 A.M. I huff, stretching for a second before ultimately reaching for my phone next to the clock. I unlock it, searching for a specific number. When I find it, I stop for a second, not sure if I should even risk it. We agreed that there would be no contact between us until I was done in Gotham unless it was absolutely necessary. It was the only way we could keep our secret under wraps, but I was good at keeping secrets, even if I was a little reckless.

Hesitantly, I compose a new message anyway, typing out my thoughts before hitting send.

This isn't a good idea. I shouldn't have come back, something isn't right.

I take a deep breath, rereading the message before deleting the thread altogether, locking my phone, and setting it back on the end table. I sigh, taking another deep, anxious breath before closing my eyes and trying to force myself asleep for the night. I just couldn't, though. Still feeling exposed, I pull the comforter up to my chin, trying to ignore the nagging thought in the back of my mind of just folding and arming myself to the teeth to finally feel safe.

"Honey," a voice says softly from behind me, making my whole body jolt. I turn and sit up, finding Joker standing in the doorway. He furrows his browline as he sees my shoulders tensed. "What's wrong with you?"

I shake my head, sitting straight and forcing myself to relax as he approaches me. "How long have you been standing there?"

"A few seconds," he says, looking at me suspiciously. "Who was that?"

"Just checking the time," I lie, watching him sit on the bed beside me. He looks me right in the eyes and I feel myself wanting to cower, feeling as though he was reading me like an open book, but I stare back, unblinking.

His eyes narrow slightly, his gaze wandering to my phone behind me for a spilt second before speaking. "I gotta go back to my place. Ashton's boss wanted to meet with me tonight. Are you coming?"

"Nah," I sigh, crossing my legs. "I want you to decide on that whole thing. If something goes wrong, I don't want my name on it."

Joker gives me a slight nod, reaching for my hand and holding it in his hand. "I can stay here another night if you want me to. I'm only going back as a...courtesy."

I immediately piece together that he means Hayden. I honestly almost forgot about her. "No, you should go. You have an obligation to her, not me."

"I would't call it an obligation," he mumbles, standing up and walking towards the door. "I'll call you."

Without another word, he leaves the room without even giving me a chance to reply. I furrow my eyebrows, watching the door close behind him. For a moment, I almost get out of the bed and follow him, but there was something else on my mind. That conversation would have to wait.

Slowly and silently, I set my feet on the ground, make my way towards the door, and peek out into the hallway. With Joker already gone, along with his guards, there was only one person left in the entire warehouse and there was light from their television spilling out into the hallway from the slightly opened bedroom door.